OREMUS: 13 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 12 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, February 13, 2005
The First Sunday in Lent

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
for in these forty days
you lead us into the desert of repentance
that through a pilgrimage of prayer and discipline
we may grow in grace
and learn to be your people once again,
redeemed by your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 24:1-11]:

Then the Lord said to Moses, 'Come up to the LORD, you
and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of
Israel, and worship at a distance. Moses alone shall come
near the LORD; but the others shall not come near, and
the people shall not come up with him.'
Moses came and told the people all the words of the LORD
and all the ordinances; and all the people answered with
one voice, and said, 'All the words that the LORD has
spoken we will do.' And Moses wrote down all the words of
the LORD. He rose early in the morning, and built an
altar at the foot of the mountain, and set up twelve
pillars, corresponding to the twelve tribes of Israel. He
sent young men of the people of Israel, who offered
burnt-offerings and sacrificed oxen as offerings of
well-being to the LORD. Moses took half of the blood and
put it in basins, and half of the blood he dashed against
the altar. Then he took the book of the covenant, and
read it in the hearing of the people; and they said, 'All
that the LORD has spoken we will do, and we will be
obedient.' Moses took the blood and dashed it on the
people, and said, 'See the blood of the covenant that the
LORD has made with you in accordance with all these
words.'
Then Moses and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of
the elders of Israel went up, and they saw the God of
Israel. Under his feet there was something like a
pavement of sapphire stone, like the very heaven for
clearness. God did not lay his hand on the chief men of
the people of Israel; also they beheld God, and they ate
and drank.

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 26:1-35

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1742
Tune: Stockton, Song 67
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o137.html

O for a heart to praise my God,
a heart from sin set free,
a heart that always feels thy blood
so freely shed for me.

A heart resigned, submissive, meek,
my great Redeemer's throne,
where only Christ is heard to speak,
where Jesus reigns alone.

A humble, lowly, contrite, heart,
believing, true and clean,
which neither life nor death can part
from him that dwells within.

A heart in every thought renewed
and full of love divine,
perfect and right and pure and good,
a copy, Lord, of thine.

My heart, thou know'st, can never rest
till thou create my peace;
till of mine Eden repossessed,
from self, and sin, I cease.

Thy nature, gracious Lord, impart;
come quickly from above;
write thy new name upon my heart,
thy new, best name of Love.

Risen Christ,
even in Lent we celebrate your Resurrection each Lord's Day.
As your baptized people,
we yearn to share more fully in the paschal mystery,
which has marked our lives with the sign of the cross.

For insight into the implications of our discipleship:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For courage to set our face toward our Jerusalems:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For compassion to meet the needs of others:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For grace to overwhelm our lack of faith:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For faithfulness in what is entrusted to us:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For your Church that it may be empowered
to be a channel of your love and justice:
Lord, hear our prayer.

O Lord God,
you led your people through the wilderness
and brought them to the promised land:
So guide us, that, following our Savior,
we may walk through the wilderness of this world
toward the glory of the world to come;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Nourish our faith,
increase our hope,
and strengthen our love,
that we may live by your Word;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a preface and the
closing sentence uses phrases from a prayer in _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is slightly adapted and reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

Westminster / John Knox Press.