OREMUS: 12 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Feb 11 23:02:23 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, February 12, 2005

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
In the darkness of our sin,
your light breaks forth like the dawn
and your healing springs up for deliverance.
As we rejoice in the gift of your saving help,
sustain us with your bountiful Spirit
and open our lips to sing your praise:

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:121-144

I have done what is just and right;*
 do not deliver me to my oppressors.
Be surety for your servant's good;*
 let not the proud oppress me.
My eyes have failed from watching for your salvation*
 and for your righteous promise.
Deal with your servant
   according to your loving-kindness*
 and teach me your statutes.
I am your servant; grant me understanding,*
 that I may know your decrees.
It is time for you to act, O Lord,*
 for they have broken your law.
Truly, I love your commandments*
 more than gold and precious stones.
I hold all your commandments to be right for me;*
 all paths of falsehood I abhor.

Your decrees are wonderful;*
 therefore I obey them with all my heart.
When your word goes forth it gives light;*
 it gives understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant;*
 I long for your commandments.

Turn to me in mercy,*
 as you always do to those who love your name.
Steady my footsteps in your word;*
 let no iniquity have dominion over me.
Rescue me from those who oppress me,*
 and I will keep your commandments.
Let your countenance shine upon your servant*
 and teach me your statutes.
My eyes shed streams of tears,*
 because people do not keep your law.

You are righteous, O Lord,*
 and upright are your judgements.
You have issued your decrees*
 with justice and in perfect faithfulness.
My indignation has consumed me,*
 because my enemies forget your words.
Your word has been tested to the uttermost,*
 and your servant holds it dear.
I am small and of little account,*
 yet I do not forget your commandments.
Your justice is an everlasting justice*
 and your law is the truth.
Trouble and distress have come upon me,*
 yet your commandments are my delight.
The righteousness of your decrees is everlasting;*
 grant me understanding, that I may live.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Deuteronomy 6:4-9,16-25]:

Hear, O Israel: The LORD is our God, the LORD alone. You
shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and
with all your soul, and with all your might. Keep these
words that I am commanding you today in your heart.
Recite them to your children and talk about them when you
are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and
when you rise. Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them
as an emblem on your forehead, and write them on the
doorposts of your house and on your gates.
Do not put the LORD your God to the test, as you tested
him at Massah. You must diligently keep the commandments
of the LORD your God, and his decrees, and his statutes
that he has commanded you. Do what is right and good in
the sight of the LORD, so that it may go well with you,
and so that you may go in and occupy the good land that
the LORD swore to your ancestors to give you, thrusting
out all your enemies from before you, as the LORD has
promised.
When your children ask you in time to come, 'What is the
meaning of the decrees and the statutes and the
ordinances that the LORD our God has commanded you?' then
you shall say to your children, 'We were Pharaoh's slaves
in Egypt, but the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a
mighty hand. The LORD displayed before our eyes great and
awesome signs and wonders against Egypt, against Pharaoh
and all his household. He brought us out from there in
order to bring us in, to give us the land that he
promised on oath to our ancestors. Then the LORD
commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the
LORD our God, for our lasting good, so as to keep us
alive, as is now the case. If we diligently observe this
entire commandment before the LORD our God, as he has
commanded us, we will be in the right.'

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 15:1-10

HYMN
Words: Jane Taylor, 1809
Tune: St. Leonard
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l307.html

Lord, I would own thy tender care,
and all thy love to me;
the food I eat, the clothes I wear,
are all bestowed by thee.

'Tis thou preservest me from death
and dangers every hour;
I cannot draw another breath
unless thou give me power.

Kind angels guard me every night,
as round my bed they stay;
nor am I absent from thy sight
in darkness or by day.

My health and friends and parents dear
to me by God are given;
I have not any blessing here
but what is sent from heaven.

Such goodness, Lord, and constant care
I never can repay;
but may it be my daily prayer,
to love thee and obey.

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Maiduguri, Nigeria,
The Most Revd Emmanuel Kana Mani, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Almighty and everlasting God,
mercifully look upon our infirmities,
and in all our dangers and necessities
stretch forth your right hand to help and defend us;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Christ give us grace to grow in holiness,
to deny ourselves,
take up our cross, and follow him. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.

The first collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and