OREMUS: 8 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Feb 7 20:59:52 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, February 8, 2005

Blessed are you, God of majesty,
you brought light out of darkness
and set the sun to brighten the day.
We thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord,
whose human body was transfigured on a lonely mountain.
In his face, we have glimpsed your glory.
In his life, we see your love.
You lead us by the light of your truth
into the way of righteousness and peace.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 139

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

READING [2 Peter 2:10b-21]:

Bold and wilful, those who indulge their flesh in
depraved lust, and who despise authority are not afraid
to slander the glorious ones, whereas angels, though
greater in might and power, do not bring against them a
slanderous judgement from the Lord. These people,
however, are like irrational animals, mere creatures of
instinct, born to be caught and killed. They slander what
they do not understand, and when those creatures are
destroyed, they also will be destroyed, suffering the
penalty for doing wrong. They count it a pleasure to
revel in the daytime. They are blots and blemishes,
revelling in their dissipation while they feast with you.
They have eyes full of adultery, insatiable for sin. They
entice unsteady souls. They have hearts trained in greed.
Accursed children! They have left the straight road and
have gone astray, following the road of Balaam son of
Bosor, who loved the wages of doing wrong, but was
rebuked for his own transgression; a speechless donkey
spoke with a human voice and restrained the prophet's
madness.
These are waterless springs and mists driven by a storm;
for them the deepest darkness has been reserved. For they
speak bombastic nonsense, and with licentious desires of
the flesh they entice people who have just escaped from
those who live in error. They promise them freedom, but
they themselves are slaves of corruption; for people are
slaves to whatever masters them. For if, after they have
escaped the defilements of the world through the
knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are
again entangled in them and overpowered, the last state
has become worse for them than the first. For it would
have been better for them never to have known the way of
righteousness than, after knowing it, to turn back from
the holy commandment that was passed on to them.

For another Biblical reading,
Nahum 2

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1707,
as altered by John Wesley (1703-1791), 1737.
Tune: Old 100th, Winchester New
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b032.html

Before Jehovah's awful throne,
ye nations, bow with sacred joy;
know that the Lord is God alone;
he can create, and he destroy.

His sovereign power, without our aid,
made us of clay, and formed us men;
and when like wandering sheep we strayed,
he brought us to his fold again.

We'll crowd thy gates with thankful songs,
high as the heavens our voices raise;
and earth, with her ten thousand tongues,
shall fill thy courts with sounding praise.

Wide as the world is thy command,
vast as eternity thy love;
firm as a rock thy truth must stand,
when rolling years shall cease to move.

We seek you daily, O Father,
and you are there daily to be found.

Wherever we seek you,
at home, at work, on the highway,
you are there, O Lord.

Whatever we do,
eating and drinking,
writing or working,
readings, meditating or praying,
you are there, O Lord.

If we are oppressed,
you defend us, O Lord.

If we hunger,
you feed us, O Lord.

Whatever we need,
you give us, O Lord.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Madhya Kerala, South India, The Rt Revd Thomas Samuel, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Madurai-Ramnad, South India.
Hear us, O Lord.

Lord,
who created and fashioned us,
who knows us and searches us out,
who abides with us through light and dark:
help us to know your presence in this life
and, in the life to come, still to be with you;
where you are alive and reign,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ,
that we may live for you, as he lived,
and love others, as he loved them. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner and is based on a prayer by James
Norden written in 1548.