OREMUS: 7 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Feb 6 17:45:04 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, February 7, 2005

Blessed are you, God of majesty,
you brought light out of darkness
and set the sun to brighten the day.
We thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord,
whose human body was transfigured on a lonely mountain.
In his face, we have glimpsed your glory.
In his life, we see your love.
You lead us by the light of your truth
into the way of righteousness and peace.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 123

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [2 Peter 2:1-10a]:

But false prophets also arose among the people, just as
there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly
bring in destructive opinions. They will even deny the
Master who bought them bringing swift destruction on
themselves. Even so, many will follow their licentious
ways, and because of these teachers the way of truth will
be maligned. And in their greed they will exploit you
with deceptive words. Their condemnation, pronounced
against them long ago, has not been idle, and their
destruction is not asleep.
For if God did not spare the angels when they sinned, but
cast them into hell and committed them to chains of
deepest darkness to be kept until the judgement; and if
he did not spare the ancient world, even though he saved
Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when
he brought a flood on a world of the ungodly; and if by
turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he
condemned them to extinction and made them an example of
what is coming to the ungodly; and if he rescued Lot, a
righteous man greatly distressed by the licentiousness of
the lawless (for that righteous man, living among them
day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by
their lawless deeds that he saw and heard), then the Lord
knows how to rescue the godly from trial, and to keep the
unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgement
 especially those who indulge their flesh in depraved
lust, and who despise authority.

For another Biblical reading,
Nahum 1

HYMN
Words: William Walsham How, 1866
Tune: Munich, Chenies
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o714.html

O Word of God Incarnate,
O Wisdom from on high,
O Truth, unchanged, unchanging,
O Light of our dark sky;
we praise thee for the radiance
that from the hallowed page,
a lantern to our footsteps,
shines on from age to age.

The Church from her dear Master
received the gift divine,
and still that light she lifteth
o'er all the earth to shine.
It is the golden casket,
where gems of truth are stored;
it is the heaven-drawn picture
of Christ the living Word.

It floateth like a banner
before God's host unfurled;
it shineth like a beacon
above the darkling world;
it is the chart and compass
that o'er life's surging sea,
'mid mists and rocks and quicksands,
still guide, O Christ, to thee.

O make thy Church, dear Savior,
a lamp of burnished gold,
to bear before the nations
thy sure light as of old;
O teach thy wandering pilgrims
by this their path to trace,
till, clouds and darkness ended,
they see thee face to face.

All-seeing, all-loving God,
you behold the human family as one.
You regard each of us as loved, redeemed, a temple of your Spirit.
Beholding you, we respond in thanks and praise as one Church.

Renew the Church in a dynamic sense of your grace.
Renew us, O Lord.

We remember your Church in the Diocese of
Machakos, Kenya, The Rt Revd Joseph Mutie Kanuku, Bishop.
Renew us, O Lord.

Work in us a continuing conversion:
Renew us, O Lord.

Give all your disciples eyes to see you in the ordinary:
Renew us, O Lord.

Lift the heavy hands of oppression
from the poor, the abused and the exploited:
Renew us, O Lord.

Kindle in the suffering and desperate
the warmth of your nearness and consolation:
Renew us, O Lord.

Stir up in us attention to the Spirit breathing within us:
Renew us, O Lord.

O God,
you create order out of our chaos,
you turn over our neatly-ordered plans:
Send your revolutionary Holy Spirit into our lives,
that in all we do we may follow you;
through Jesus Christ, the giver of true freedom. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ,
that we may live for you, as he lived,
and love others, as he loved them. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The collect is by Stephen T. Benner, 2004.