OREMUS: 4 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Feb 3 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, February 4, 2005
Gilbert of Sempringham, Founder of the Gilbertine Order, 1189

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

Psalm 72

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

READING [Mark 2:1-12]:

When Jesus returned to Capernaum after some days, it was
reported that he was at home. So many gathered around
that there was no longer room for them, not even in front
of the door; and he was speaking the word to them. Then
some people came, bringing to him a paralysed man,
carried by four of them. And when they could not bring
him to Jesus because of the crowd, they removed the roof
above him; and after having dug through it, they let down
the mat on which the paralytic lay. When Jesus saw their
faith, he said to the paralytic, 'Son, your sins are
forgiven.' Now some of the scribes were sitting there,
questioning in their hearts, 'Why does this fellow speak
in this way? It is blasphemy! Who can forgive sins but
God alone?' At once Jesus perceived in his spirit that
they were discussing these questions among themselves;
and he said to them, 'Why do you raise such questions in
your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the paralytic,
"Your sins are forgiven", or to say, "Stand up and take
your mat and walk"? But so that you may know that the Son
of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins' he said to
the paralytic  'I say to you, stand up, take your mat and
go to your home.' And he stood up, and immediately took
the mat and went out before all of them; so that they
were all amazed and glorified God, saying, 'We have never
seen anything like this!'

For another Biblical reading,
Numbers 11:24-33

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Angelus, Bow Brickhill, Daniel, Ely, Invercarry, Melcombe
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o043.html

O Christ, the healer, we have come
to pray for health, to plead for friends.
How can we fail to be restored,
when reached by love that never ends?

>From every ailment flesh endures
our bodies clamor to be freed;
yet in our hearts we would confess
that wholeness is our deepest need.

How strong, O Lord, are our desires,
how weak our knowledge of ourselves!
Release in us those healing truths
unconscious pride resists or shelves.

In conflicts that destroy our health,
we diagnose the world's disease;
our common life declares our ills:
is there no cure, O Christ, for these?

Grant that we all, made one in faith,
in your community may find
the wholeness that, enriching us,
shall reach the whole of humankind.

Beginning and End of all things,
we bless you for the present that is ever yielding
to your new heaven and new earth.

For all the means of grace,
we praise you, O Lord.

For every prompting of your Spirit
we praise you, O Lord.

We yield our cares to your unceasing mercy:
Attend the sick and the suffering,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Touch the dying:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Claim the newborn:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shelter the homeless:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Sing in the fearful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Chasten the arrogant and powerful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Lift up the lowly:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Center the Church, especially in the Diocese of
Lusaka, Central Africa, The Very Revd David Njovu, Bishop.
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Grant peace to Jerusalem and every people:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shape our lives by the mystery
of Christ crucified, risen and interceding for us:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessing for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
   for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
whose blessed Son became poor
that we through his poverty might be rich:
Deliver us from an inordinate love of this world,
that we, inspired by the devotion of your servant Gilbert,
may serve you with singleness of heart,
and attain to the riches of the age to come;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you,

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;

The psalms and the first collect are from _Celebrating Common
Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is
used with permission.

Hymn (c) 1969 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

of The Episcopal Church_.

Born in 1083 in Sempringham, the son of the squire, Gilbert became the parish
priest in 1131. He encouraged the vocation of seven women of the town and
formed them into a company of lay sisters. A group of lay brothers also came
into being and they all kept the Benedictine Rule. Gilbert was unsuccessful in
his bid to obtain pastoral guidance from CŒteaux for the incipient communities
and they came under the ambit of Augustinian canons, Gilbert himself
becoming the Master. At Gilbert's death in 1189, aged 106, there were nine
double monasteries in England and four of male canons only. It was the only
purely English monastic foundation before the Dissolution of the Monasteries
in the sixteenth century. [Exciting Holiness]