OREMUS: 3 February 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Feb 2 21:07:22 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, February 3, 2005
Anskar, Archbishop of Hamburg, Missionary in Denmark and Sweden, 865

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

http://www.oremus.org/epiocant.html

 and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
 that he redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
 from the east and from the west,
   from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
 they found no way to a city where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
 their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
 to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
 and fills the hungry with good things.
Some sat in darkness and deep gloom,*
 bound fast in misery and iron;
Because they rebelled against the words of God*
 and despised the counsel of the Most High.
So he humbled their spirits with hard labour;*
 they stumbled and there was none to help.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them out of darkness and deep gloom*
 and broke their bonds asunder.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he shatters the doors of bronze*
 and breaks in two the iron bars.
Some were fools and took to rebellious ways;*
 they were afflicted because of their sins.
They abhorred all manner of food*
 and drew near to death's door.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them*
 and saved them from the grave.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
Some went down to the sea in ships*
 and plied their trade in deep waters;
They beheld the works of the Lord*
 and his wonders in the deep.
Then he spoke and a stormy wind arose,*
 which tossed high the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to the heavens
   and fell back to the depths;*
 their hearts melted because of their peril.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards*
 and were at their wits' end.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper*
 and quieted the waves of the sea.
Then were they glad because of the calm,*
 and he brought them
   to the harbour they were bound for.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them exalt him in the congregation of the people*
 and praise him in the council of the elders.
The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into water-springs.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Mark 1:35-45]:

In the morning, while it was still very dark, he got up
and went out to a deserted place, and there he prayed.
And Simon and his companions hunted for him. When they
found him, they said to him, 'Everyone is searching for
you.' He answered, 'Let us go on to the neighbouring
towns, so that I may proclaim the message there also; for
that is what I came out to do.' And he went throughout
Galilee, proclaiming the message in their synagogues and
casting out demons.
A leper came to him begging him, and kneeling he said to
him, 'If you choose, you can make me clean.' Moved with
pity, Jesus stretched out his hand and touched him, and
said to him, 'I do choose. Be made clean!' Immediately
the leprosy left him, and he was made clean. After
sternly warning him he sent him away at once, saying to
him, 'See that you say nothing to anyone; but go, show
yourself to the priest, and offer for your cleansing what
Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.' But he went out
and began to proclaim it freely, and to spread the word,
so that Jesus could no longer go into a town openly, but
stayed out in the country; and people came to him from
every quarter.

For another Biblical reading,
Numbers 11:1-23

HYMN
Words: Charles Kingsley, 1871
Tune: Albano, Belgrave, Culross
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f297.html

>From thee all skill and science flow,
all pity, care, and love,
all calm and courage, faith and hope:
O pour them from above!

Impart them, Lord, to each and all,
as each and all shall need,
to rise, like incense, each to thee,
in noble thought and deed.

And hasten, Lord, that perfect day
when pain and death shall cease,
and thy just rule shall fill the earth
with health and light and peace.

God of the apostles and martyrs,
we thank you for the hope that is from the beginning.
We bless you for the good news of Jesus
crucified, risen, and interceding for us
until his coming again in glory.

We commend to your care
all who walk and weep in grief and regret.

We pray in hope of your mercy.

We commend to you
all who live far from your image.
We pray in hope of your salvation.

We commend Holy Church,
especially the Diocese of Lucknow, North India,
The Rt Revd Anil R Stephen, Bishop,
and the Diocese of Lui, Sudan, The Rt Revd Bullen A Dolli, Bishop.
We pray in hope of your glory.

We commend to your justice all peoples
who participate in oppression, strife and domination of others.
We pray in hope of your justice and peace.

We commend to you all who have died.
We pray in hope of your resurrection.

We commend to you our unfinished business.
We pray in hope of rest in you.

O God, your steadfast love endures for ever
and your faithfulness from one generation to another;
rescue your people from their distress,
still the storms of our self-will
and bring us to the haven you have prepared for us
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty and everlasting God,
you sent your servant Anskar
as an apostle to the people of Scandinavia,
and enabled him to lay a firm foundation for their conversion,
though he did not see the results of his labors:
Keep your Church from discouragement in the day of small things,
knowing than when you have begun a good work
you will bring it to a faithful conclusion;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;

The psalms and the first collect are from _Celebrating Common
Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is
used with permission.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

 Anskar (in Latin, Ansgarius) was a monk of Saxon family, born in 801 (the
year after the crowning of Charlemagne). In 826, when King Harald of
Denmark asked Charlemagne's successors for missionaries, Anskar led a group
to Denmark, and a few years later to Sweden. Because of unsettled political
conditions, his work ran into difficulties, and Anskar withdrew into Germany,
where he served as first Archbishop of Hamburg. Later, however, he helped to
consecrate Gotbert, the first bishop of Sweden. The Church of Sweden honors
him as its apostle, and he serves as symbol of the historic friendship and
present-day connection between the Anglican Churches and the Church of
Sweden. [James Kiefer]