OREMUS: 1 January 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 31 21:39:52 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, January 1, 2006
The Naming and Circumcision of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Blessed are you, O God, the almighty Father,
for your placing us into a world of space and time,
and through the events of our lives
you bless us with your love.
Shed forth the glory of your  presence
that we may see your love at work
and live in the light of the event
that gives us joy forever:
the coming of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 115

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15:3-4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds,
Lord God the Almighty.

Just and true are your ways,
O ruler of the nations.

Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord?
for you alone are holy.

All nations shall come and worship in your presence:
for your just dealings have been revealed.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Numbers 6:22-27]:

The LORD spoke to Moses, saying: Speak to Aaron and his
sons, saying, Thus you shall bless the Israelites: You
shall say to them,
The LORD bless you and keep you;
the LORD make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious
to you;
the LORD lift up his countenance upon you, and give you
peace.

So they shall put my name on the Israelites, and I will
bless them.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke
2:15-21

HYMN
Words: Meaux Breviary, 1713; trans. Francis Pott, 1861
Tune: Tallis' Ordinal
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t410.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t410.html

The year is gone, beyond recall,
with all its hopes and fears,
with all its bright and gladdening smiles,
with all its mourners' tears.

Thy thankful people praise thee, Lord,
for countless gifts received;
and pray for grace to keep the faith
which saints of old believed.

To thee we come, O gracious Lord,
the newborn year to bless;
defend our land from pestilence,
give peace and plenteousness.

Forgive this nation's many sins,
the growth of vice restrain;
and help us all with sin to strive,
and crowns of life to gain.

>From evil deeds that stain the past
we now desire to flee;
and pray that future years may all
be spent, good Lord, for thee.

O Father, let thy watchful eye
still look on us in love,
that we may praise thee, year by year,
with angel hosts above.

All glory to the Father be,
all glory to the Son,
all glory, Holy Ghost, to thee,
while endless ages run.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
In a world of change and hope,
of fear and adventure,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In human rebellion and obedience,
in our seeking and our finding,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In the common life of our society,
in prosperity and need,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

As your Church proclaims your goodness,
in words and action,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

Among our friends,
and in our homes,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In our times of joy,
in our days of sorrow,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In our strengths and triumphs,
in our weakness and at our death,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In your saints in glory
and on the day of Christ's coming,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

Eternal Father,
you gave to your incarnate Son
the holy name of Jesus
to be the sign of our salvation
Plant in every heart, we pray,
the love of him who is the Savior of the world,
our Lord Jesus Christ;
one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May God keep us in all our days.
May Christ shield us in all our ways.
May the Spirit brings us healing and peace.
May God the Holy Trinity drive all darkness from us
and pour upon us blessing and light. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The intercession and the closing sentence are adapted from _The Promise
of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central Board of Finance  of the
Church of England 1990, 1991, which is used with permission.

of The Episcopal Church_.