OREMUS: 27 December 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 26 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 27, 2005
Saint John the Apostle and Evangelist

Blessed are you, O God, the giver of the Word,
which your beloved apostle John
proclaimed to the world
through his words and actions.
Just as John was transformed
from fisherman to disciple
may be we be transformed
through the grace of your Word
to proclaim in all that we do and say.
Blessed be God forever!

An opening canticle may be sung.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 21

The king rejoices in your strength, O Lord;*
 how greatly he exults in your victory!
You have given him his heart's desire;*
 you have not denied him the request of his lips.
For you meet him with blessings of prosperity,*
 and set a crown of fine gold upon his head.
He asked you for life and you gave it to him;*
 length of days, for ever and ever.
His honour is great, because of your victory;*
 splendour and majesty have you bestowed upon him.
For you will give him everlasting felicity*
 and will make him glad with the joy of your presence.
For the king puts his trust in the Lord;*
 because of the loving-kindness of the Most High,
   he will not fall.
Your hand will lay hold upon all your enemies;*
 your right hand will seize all those who hate you.
You will make them like a fiery furnace*
 at the time of your appearing, O Lord;
You will swallow them up in your wrath,*
 and fire shall consume them.
You will destroy their offspring from the land*
 and their descendants
   from among the peoples of the earth.
Though they intend evil against you
   and devise wicked schemes,*
 yet they shall not prevail.
For you will put them to flight*
 and aim your arrows at them.
Be exalted, O Lord, in your might;*
 we will sing and praise your power.

Psalm 92

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,*
 and to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning*
 and of your faithfulness in the night season;
On the psaltery and on the lyre*
 and to the melody of the harp.
For you have made me glad by your acts, O Lord;*
 and I shout for joy because of the works of your hands.
Lord, how great are your works!*
 your thoughts are very deep.
The dullard does not know,
   nor does the fool understand,*
 that though the wicked grow like weeds,
   and all the workers of iniquity flourish,
They flourish only to be destroyed for ever;*
 but you, O Lord, are exalted for evermore.
For lo, your enemies, O Lord,
   lo, your enemies shall perish,*
 and all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.
But my horn you have exalted
   like the horns of wild bulls;*
 I am anointed with fresh oil.
My eyes also gloat over my enemies,*
 and my ears rejoice to hear the doom of the wicked
   who rise up against me.
The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,*
 and shall spread abroad like a cedar of Lebanon.
Those who are planted in the house of the Lord*
 shall flourish in the courts of our God;
They shall still bear fruit in old age;*
 they shall be green and succulent;
That they may show how upright the Lord is,*
 my rock, in whom there is no fault.

A Song of the Word (John 1:1-14)

In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God.

He was in the beginning with God.
All things came into being through him,
and without him not one thing came into being.

What has come into being in him was life,
and the life was the light of all people.
The light shines in the darkness,
and the darkness did not overcome it.

There was a man sent from God,
whose name was John.
He came as a witness to testify to the light,
so that all might believe through him.
He himself was not the light,
but he came to testify to the light.

The true light, which enlightens everyone,
was coming into the world.
He was in the world,
and the world came into being through him;
yet the world did not know him.
He came to what was his own,
and his own people did not accept him.

But to all who received him,
who believed in his name,
he gave power to become children of God, who were born,
not of blood or of the will of the flesh
or of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word became flesh and lived among us,
and we have seen his glory,
the glory as of a father's only son,
full of grace and truth.

READING [1 John 1:1-7]:

We declare to you what was from the beginning, what we
have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have
looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the word
of life--this life was revealed, and we have seen it and
testify to it, and declare to you the eternal life that
was with the Father and was revealed to us--we declare to
you what we have seen and heard so that you also may have
fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the
Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. We are writing
these things so that our joy may be complete.
This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim
to you, that God is light and in him there is no darkness
at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him while
we are walking in darkness, we lie and do not do what is
true; but if we walk in the light as he himself is in the
light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood
of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 6:1-8

HYMN
Words: John Keble, 1857
Tune: Grafton, St. Thomas (Webbe)
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w576.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w576.ht
ml

Word supreme, before creation
born of God eternally,
who didst will for our salvation
to be born on earth, and die;
well thy saints have kept their station,
watching till thine hour is nigh.

Now 'tis come and faith espies thee;
like an eaglet in the morn,
one in steadfast worship eyes thee;
thy beloved, thy latest born;
in thy glory he descries thee
reigning from the tree of scorn.

He first hoping and believing
did beside the grave adore;
latest he, the warfare leaving,
landed on the eternal shore;
and his witness we receiving
own thee Lord forevermore.

Much he asked in loving wonder,
on thy bosom leaning, Lord!
in that secret place of thunder,
answer kind didst thou accord,
wisdom for thy church to ponder
till the day of dread award.

Lo! heaven's doors lift up, revealing
how thy judgments earthward move;
scrolls unfolded, trumpets pealing,
wine-cups from the wrath above,
yet o'er all a soft voice stealing
"Little children, trust and love!"

Thee, the Almighty King eternal,
Father of the eternal word;
thee, the Father's Word supernal,
thee, of both, the Breath adored;
heaven, and earth, and realms infernal
own, one glorious God and Lord.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
All the ends of the earth
have seen the salvation of our God. Alleluia!
Shout to the Lord, all the earth. Alleluia!

O Christ,
splendor of God's eternal glory,
sustaining the universe by your mighty Word,
renew our lives by your presence.
Lord, have mercy.

O Christ,
born into the world in the fullness of time
for the liberation of all creation,
let all, especially those persecuted for their faith,
come to their rightful freedom.
Lord, have mercy.

O Christ,
begotten of the Father before all time,
born in the stable at Bethlehem,
may your Church be a sign of hope and joy.
Lord, have mercy.

O Christ,
truly God and truly human,
born to a people in fulfillment of their expectations,
fulfill our desires in you.
Lord, have mercy.

O Christ,
born of the Virgin Mary,
child of wonder and splendor,
mighty God of all ages,
Prince of peace,
may the whole world live in peace and justice.
Lord, have mercy.

Shed upon your Church, O Lord,
the brightness of your light,
so that we, illumined by the teaching
of John the evangelist,
may walk in the light of your truth,
and be brought to the fullness of eternal life;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The Word has become flesh and dwelt among us.
May Christ's light shine in the darkest corners of our lives
and his love shine in the darkest corners of our world.
God is with us. Alleluia. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is &copy 2000, Stephen T. Benner.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The intercessions are from _Daily Prayer_. (c)1987 The
Westminster Press.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

John, son of Zebedee, was one of the twelve apostles of Our Lord. Together
with his brother James and with Simon Peter, he formed a kind of inner circle
of Three among the Twelve, in that those three were privileged to behold the
miracle of the Great Catch of Fish, the healing of Peter's mother-in-law, the
raising of the daughter of Jairus, the Transfiguration, and the Agony in
Gethsemane. He expressed a willingness to undergo martyrdom-- as did the
other apostles-- and is accordingly called a martyr in intention. However, we
have ancient testimony that, although imprisoned and exiled for his testimony
to the Gospel, he was eventually released and died a natural death in Ephesus:
"a martyr in will but not in deed."
John is credited with the authorship of three epistles and one Gospel, although
many scholars believe that the final editing of the Gospel was done by others
shortly after his death. He is also supposed by many to be the author of the
book of Revelation, also called the Apocalypse, although this identification is
less certain.