OREMUS: 19 December 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Dec 18 21:20:51 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, December 19 , 2005
O Radix Jesse

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might!
You sent your Son, the Word born in silence,
to be born as the majestic fruit of Jesse's stem,
standing as a sign to the people of Israel,
and King before whom all kings shall shut their mouths
and whom all nations shall seek.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 116

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Isaiah 52:1-12]:

Awake, awake,
   put on your strength, O Zion!
Put on your beautiful garments,
   O Jerusalem, the holy city;
for the uncircumcised and the unclean
   shall enter you no more.
Shake yourself from the dust, rise up,
   O captive Jerusalem;
loose the bonds from your neck,
   O captive daughter Zion!

For thus says the Lord: You were sold for nothing, and
you shall be redeemed without money. For thus says the
Lord God: Long ago, my people went down into Egypt to
reside there as aliens; the Assyrian, too, has oppressed
them without cause. Now therefore, what am I doing here,
says the Lord, seeing that my people are taken away
without cause? Their rulers howl, says the Lord, and
continually, all day long, my name is despised. Therefore
my people shall know my name; therefore on that day they
shall know that it is I who speak; here am I.

How beautiful upon the mountains
   are the feet of the messenger who announces peace,
who brings good news,
   who announces salvation,
   who says to Zion, 'Your God reigns.'
Listen! Your sentinels lift up their voices,
   together they sing for joy;
for in plain sight they see
   the return of the Lord to Zion.
Break forth together into singing,
   you ruins of Jerusalem;
for the Lord has comforted his people,
   he has redeemed Jerusalem.
The Lord has bared his holy arm
   before the eyes of all the nations;
and all the ends of the earth shall see
   the salvation of our God.

Depart, depart, go out from there!
   Touch no unclean thing;
go out from the midst of it, purify yourselves,
   you who carry the vessels of the Lord.
For you shall not go out in haste,
   and you shall not go in flight;
for the Lord will go before you,
   and the God of Israel will be your rearguard.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 1:26-38

HYMN
Words: tanzas 1-2: German, fifteenth century carol; trans. Theodore Baker, 1894.
stanzas 3-4: Friedrich Layritz (1808-1859); trans. Harriet Reynolds Krauth (1845-1925).
Tune: Es ist ein Ros
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l189.html

Lo, how a Rose e'er blooming
from tender stem hath sprung!
of Jesse's lineage coming,
as those of old have sung.
It came, a floweret bright,
amid the cold of winter,
when half spent was the night.

Isaiah 'twas foretold it,
the Rose I have in mind;
with Mary we behold it,
the Virgin Mother kind.
To show God's love aright,
she bore to us a Savior,
when half spent was the night.

The shepherds heard the story
proclaimed by angels bright,
how Christ, the Lord of glory
was born on earth this night.
To Bethlehem they sped
and in the manger they found him,
as angel heralds said.

This Flower, whose fragrance tender
with sweetness fills the air,
dispels with glorious splendor
the darkness everywhere;
true man, yet very God,
from sin and death he saves us,
and lightens every load.

As we look forward to your coming,
we call to mind our sins.

The hatred which divides nation from nation,
race from race, class from class:
Father forgive.

The covetous desires of people and nations
to possess what is not their own:
Father forgive.

The greed which exploits the work of human hands
and lays waste the earth:
Father forgive.

Our envy of the welfare and happiness of others:
Father forgive.

Our indifference to the plight
of the imprisoned, the homeless and the refugee:
Father forgive.

The lust which dishonors
the bodies of men, women and children:
Father forgive.

The pride which leads us to trust in ourselves
and not in God:
Father forgive.

O Lord our God,
by your Word you created us,
and your grace you sustain us:
May your love continually dawn in our hearts,
that others may see you in our actions
and be ready to welcome your Son;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found here

O come, thou Branch of Jesse's tree,
free them from Satan's tyranny
that trust thy mighty power to save,
and give them victory o'er the grave.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on the
antiphon O Radix and phrases from a prayer from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The intercession is from Coventry Cathedral as given in _Words for
Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

The collect (slightly altered) is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A
Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.
The penultimate line is by Stephen Benner.