OREMUS: 17 December 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Dec 16 20:48:42 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, December 17, 2005
O Sapientia

Blessed are you, O Wisdom, O holy Word of God,
coming forth from the mouth of the Most High,
pervading and permeating all creation,
you order all things with strength and gentleness:
You are our Lord Jesus Christ,
who in these late times became human.
that he might unite the end with the beginning.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

READING [Isaiah 45:2-8]:

I will go before you
   and level the mountains,
I will break in pieces the doors of bronze
   and cut through the bars of iron,
I will give you the treasures of darkness
   and riches hidden in secret places,
so that you may know that it is I, the Lord,
   the God of Israel, who call you by your name.
For the sake of my servant Jacob,
   and Israel my chosen,
I call you by your name,
   I surname you, though you do not know me.
I am the Lord, and there is no other;
   besides me there is no god.
   I arm you, though you do not know me,
so that they may know, from the rising of the sun
   and from the west, that there is no one besides
me;
   I am the Lord, and there is no other.
I form light and create darkness,
   I make weal and create woe;
   I the Lord do all these things.

Shower, O heavens, from above,
   and let the skies rain down righteousness;
let the earth open, that salvation may spring up,
   and let it cause righteousness to sprout up also;
   I the Lord have created it.

For another Biblical reading,
John 3:16-21

HYMN
Words: (c) Timothy Dudley-Smith
Tune: Repton, Lobt Gott ihr Christen
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h114a.html

He comes to us as one unknown,
a breath unseen, unheard;
as though within a heart of stone,
or shriveled seed in darkness sown,
a pulse of being stirred.

He comes when souls in silence lie
and thoughts of day depart,
half-seen upon the inward eye,
a falling star across the sky
of night within the heart.

He comes to us in sound of seas,
the ocean's fume and foam;
yet small and still upon the breeze,
a wind that stirs the tops of trees,
a voice to call us home.

He comes in love as once he came
by flesh and blood and birth;
to bear within our mortal frame
a life, a death, a saving name
for every child of earth.

He comes in truth when faith is grown;
believed, obeyed, adored:
the Christ in all the scriptures shown,
as yet unseen, but not unknown,
our Savior, and our Lord.

Come, O Wisdom, come!

Word, spoken in eternity by mouth of the Most High,
O Wisdom of the mind and heart of God!
Come, O Wisdom, come!

Eternal Archetype, all creation's beauty
is fragment of your loveliness!
Come, O Wisdom, come!

Great Logos come to rest in the Virgin's womb!
O Little Wisdom born to us!
Almighty clothed in tenderness!
Come, O Wisdom, come!

>From end to end of time,
the grace of Love Incarnate orders all.
Come, O Wisdom, come!

O Wisdom, let me partake of you and yet still hunger,
and let me drink of you and always thirst.
Come, O Wisdom, come!

O Wisdom that is Love and love's Delight,
teach me to search him through the darkened streets
for whom our hearts long
Come, O Wisdom, come!

Who are we, Lord God,
that you should come to us?
Yet you have visited your people
and redeemed us in your Son.
As we prepare to celebrate his birth,
make our hearts leap for joy at the sound of your word,
and move us by your Spirit to bless your wonderful works.
We ask this through him whose coming is certain,
whose day draws near, your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found here

O come, thou Wisdom from on high,
who orderest all things mightily;
to us the path of knowledge show,
and teach us in her ways to go.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on the
Vespers antiphon 'O Sapientia' and a sentence from Irenaeus of Lyons, second
century.

Hymn (c) 1984 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories
except the UK, Europe & Africa, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England
First line by Albert Schweitzer, The Quest of the Historical Jesus 1910.

The intercession is adapted from prayers reprinted from
_THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use
of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke.
Used by permission.

Westminster / John Knox Press.