OREMUS: 16 December 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Dec 15 21:08:47 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, December 16, 2005

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might!
You offer to your Church these holy days of Advent
to revive and sustain us in hope,
that we may walk as children of light, ever watchful,
and come at last to your eternal kingdom
where your Son, Jesus Christ reigns in peace.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 42

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

READING [Revelation 6:1-17]:

Then I saw the Lamb open one of the seven seals, and I
heard one of the four living creatures call out, as with
a voice of thunder, 'Come!' I looked, and there was a
white horse! Its rider had a bow; a crown was given to
him, and he came out conquering and to conquer.
When he opened the second seal, I heard the second living
creature call out, 'Come!' And out came another horse,
bright red; its rider was permitted to take peace from
the earth, so that people would slaughter one another;
and he was given a great sword.
When he opened the third seal, I heard the third living
creature call out, 'Come!' I looked, and there was a
black horse! Its rider held a pair of scales in his hand,
and I heard what seemed to be a voice in the midst of the
four living creatures saying, 'A quart of wheat for a
day's pay, and three quarts of barley for a day's pay,
but do not damage the olive oil and the wine!'
When he opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the
fourth living creature call out, 'Come!'I looked and
there was a pale green horse! Its rider's name was Death,
and Hades followed with him; they were given authority
over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, famine,
and pestilence, and by the wild animals of the earth.
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the
souls of those who had been slaughtered for the word of
God and for the testimony they had given; they cried out
with a loud voice, 'Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how
long will it be before you judge and avenge our blood on
the inhabitants of the earth?' They were each given a
white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the
number would be complete both of their fellow-servants
and of their brothers and sisters, who were soon to be
killed as they themselves had been killed.
When he opened the sixth seal, I looked, and there came a
great earthquake; the sun became black as sackcloth, the
full moon became like blood, and the stars of the sky
fell to the earth as the fig tree drops its winter fruit
when shaken by a gale. The sky vanished like a scroll
rolling itself up, and every mountain and island was
removed from its place. Then the kings of the earth and
the magnates and the generals and the rich and the
powerful, and everyone, slave and free, hid in the caves
and among the rocks of the mountains, calling to the
mountains and rocks, 'Fall on us and hide us from the
face of the one seated on the throne and from the wrath
of the Lamb; for the great day of their wrath has come,
and who is able to stand?'

For another Biblical reading,
Amos 8

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery (1771-1854)
Tune: Es flog ein kleins Waldv”glein, Crger
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h043.html

Hail to the Lord's Anointed,
great David's greater Son!
Hail, in the time appointed,
his reign on earth begun!
He comes to break oppression,
to set the captive free,
to take away transgression,
and rule in equity.

He comes, with succour speedy,
to those who suffer wrong;
to help the poor and needy,
and bid the weak be strong;
to give them songs for sighing,
their darkness turn to light,
whose souls, condemned and dying,
were precious in his sight.

He shall come down like showers
upon the fruitful earth;
love, joy, and hope, like flowers,
spring in his path to birth;
before him, on the mountains,
shall peace the herald go;
and righteousness, in fountains,
from hill to valley flow.

Kings shall fall down before him,
and gold and incense bring;
all nations shall adore him,
his praise all people sing;
to him shall prayer unceasing
and daily vows ascend,
his kingdom still increasing,
a kingdom without end.

O'er every foe victorious,
he on his throne shall rest;
from age to age more glorious,
all-blessing and all-blest.
the tide of time shall never
his covenant remove;
his name shall stand for ever,
his changeless Name of love.

In joyful hope, we pray to you, O Lord:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge
and give us a longing for your loving rule.
We pray especially for the Diocese of West Virginia, USA,
The Rt Revd Willam Mitchie Klusmeyer, Bishop.:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your world as King of the nations
and let righteousness and peace prevail:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us as Savior and Comforter,
breaking into our failure and freeing us to serve you:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us with power and great joy,
that our hearts may be lifted to meet you in joy:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Gracious Father,
by whose tender compassion
the light of Christ has dawned upon us:
Open our hearts, so that, joyfully receiving Christ,
we may declare his glory to the ends of the earth.
He lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Kindle in us the fire of your Spirit
that when your Christ comes again
we may shine as lights before him. Amen.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.