OREMUS: 15 December 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Dec 14 17:47:32 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, December 15, 2005

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might!
You offer to your Church these holy days of Advent
to revive and sustain us in hope,
that we may walk as children of light, ever watchful,
and come at last to your eternal kingdom
where your Son, Jesus Christ reigns in peace.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 62

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Psalm 85

You have been gracious to your land, O Lord,*
 you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.
You have forgiven the iniquity of your people*
 and blotted out all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your fury*
 and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.
Restore us then, O God our Saviour;*
 let your anger depart from us.
Will you be displeased with us for ever?*
 will you prolong your anger from age to age?
Will you not give us life again,*
 that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,*
 and grant us your salvation.
I will listen to what the Lord God is saying,*
 for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
   and to those who turn their hearts to him.
Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him,*
 that his glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth have met together;*
 righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring up from the earth,*
 and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,*
 and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness shall go before him,*
 and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Revelation 5:6-14]:

Then I saw between the throne and the four living
creatures and among the elders a Lamb standing as if it
had been slaughtered, having seven horns and seven eyes,
which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the
earth. He went and took the scroll from the right hand of
the one who was seated on the throne. When he had taken
the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four
elders fell before the Lamb, each holding a harp and
golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of
the saints. They sing a new song:
'You are worthy to take the scroll
   and to open its seals,
for you were slaughtered and by your blood you ransomed
for God
   saints from every tribe and language and people and
nation;
you have made them to be a kingdom and priests serving
our God,
   and they will reign on earth.'

Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels
surrounding the throne and the living creatures and the
elders; they numbered myriads of myriads and thousands of
thousands, singing with full voice,
'Worthy is the Lamb that was slaughtered
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might
and honour and glory and blessing!'
Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and
under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them,
singing,
'To the one seated on the throne and to the Lamb
be blessing and honour and glory and might
for ever and ever!'
And the four living creatures said, 'Amen!' And the
elders fell down and worshipped.

For another Biblical reading,
Amos 7

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1816
Tune: Kingsfold
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w310.html

When Jesus left his Father's throne,
he chose an humble birth;
like us, unhonored and unknown,
he came to dwell on earth.
Like him may be found below
in wisdom's path of peace;
like him in grace and knowledge grow
as years and strength increase.

Sweet were his words and kind his look,
when mothers round him pressed;
their infants in his arms he took,
and on his bosom blessed.
Safe from the world's alluring harms,
beneath his watchful eye,
thus in the circle of his arms
may we for ever lie.

When Jesus into Zion rode,
the children sang around;
for joy they plucked the palms and strowed
their garments on the ground.
Hosanna our glad voices raise,
hosanna to our King!
Should we forget our Savior's praise,
the stones themselves would sing.

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Kootenay, Canada, The Most Revd David P Crawley, Archbishop.
Lord, have mercy.

Eternal God,
you are our salvation, our strength, our shield.
In this season of expectancy,
open our eyes to our sin.
Let your Spirit reveal the darkness of our souls
and let daybreak come through your deliverance.
Come in the glory of your saving light
and shine upon our pathways;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Kindle in us the fire of your Spirit
that when your Christ comes again
we may shine as lights before him. Amen.

The collect is slightly adapted from a prayer by Arlene M. Mark, _Words
for Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.