OREMUS: 13 December 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 12 17:00:02 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Lucy, Martyr at Syracuse, 304

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might!
You offer to your Church these holy days of Advent
to revive and sustain us in hope,
that we may walk as children of light, ever watchful,
and come at last to your eternal kingdom
where your Son, Jesus Christ reigns in peace.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 137:1-6

By the waters of Babylon we sat down and wept,*
 when we remembered you, O Zion.
As for our harps, we hung them up*
 on the trees in the midst of that land.
For those who led us away captive asked us for a song,
   and our oppressors called for mirth:*
 'Sing us one of the songs of Zion.'
How shall we sing the Lord's song*
 upon an alien soil?
If I forget you, O Jerusalem,*
 let my right hand forget its skill.
Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth
   if I do not remember you,*
 if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

READING [Revelation 4:1-8]:

After this I looked, and there in heaven a door stood
open! And the first voice, which I had heard speaking to
me like a trumpet, said, 'Come up here, and I will show
you what must take place after this.' At once I was in
the spirit, and there in heaven stood a throne, with one
seated on the throne! And the one seated there looks like
jasper and cornelian, and around the throne is a rainbow
that looks like an emerald. Around the throne are
twenty-four thrones, and seated on the thrones are
twenty-four elders, dressed in white robes, with golden
crowns on their heads. Coming from the throne are flashes
of lightning, and rumblings and peals of thunder, and in
front of the throne burn seven flaming torches, which are
the seven spirits of God; and in front of the throne
there is something like a sea of glass, like crystal.
Around the throne, and on each side of the throne, are
four living creatures, full of eyes in front and behind:
the first living creature like a lion, the second living
creature like an ox, the third living creature with a
face like a human face, and the fourth living creature
like a flying eagle. And the four living creatures, each
of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and
inside. Day and night without ceasing they sing,
'Holy, holy, holy,
the Lord God the Almighty,
   who was and is and is to come.'

For another Biblical reading,
Amos 5:18-27

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw. Jr. (c)
Tune: Noel
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b122.html

Blest be the God of Israel
who comes to set us free
and raises new hope for us:
a Branch from David's tree.
So have the prophets long declared
that with a mighty arm
God would turn back our enemies
and all who wish us harm.

With promised mercy will God still
the covenant recall:
the oath once sworn to Abraham,
from foes to save us all;
that we might worship without fear
and offer lives of praise,
in holiness and righteousness
before God all our days.

My child, as prophet of the Lord,
you will prepare the way,
to tell God's people they are saved
from sin's eternal sway.
Then shall God's mercy from on high
shine forth and never cease
to drive away the gloom of death
and lead us into peace.

Let us turn our eyes to the Lord of glory
and enthrone him on our praises, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Jesus, servant of God,
you bring justice to the peoples:
Lord, have mercy.

You love your people
with a faithful love:
Lord, have mercy.

You were lifted up on the cross
that you might draw all people to yourself:
Lord, have mercy.

You bring hope and joy
to those who walk in the valley and shadow of death:
Lord, have mercy.

You have liberated us
so that we might be free for ever:
Lord, have mercy.

You, O Christ, are our justice,
our peace and our redemption:
Lord, have mercy.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Washington, USA, The Rt Revd John Bryson Chane, Bishop.

God of power and mercy,
you call us once again to celebrate the coming of your Son:
Remove those things which hinder love of you,
that when he comes, he may find us waiting in awe and wonder
for him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

God our redeemer,
who gave light to the world that was in darkness
by the healing power of the Savior's cross:
shed that light on us, we pray,
that with your martyr Lucy
we may, by the purity of our lives,
reflect the light of Christ
and, by the merits of his passion,
come to the light of everlasting life;

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Kindle in us the fire of your Spirit
that when your Christ comes again
we may shine as lights before him. Amen.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The early Roman lists of martyrs commemorate Lucy, virgin and martyr, on 13
December, and her name, with that of Agatha, appears in the Roman Liturgy as
an example of those who have gone before us, in whose company we join in
giving thanks and praise to God. Aside from this, little is known of her, except
that she lived in Syracuse in Sicily, and probably died around 304. Her name,
which means "light," probably accounts for the story that her eyes were put out
and her eyesight miraculously restored, and may be connected with the fact
that her feast occurs near the time when (in the Northern Hemisphere) the
nights are longest. In Sweden and elsewhere, the day is observed by having one
of the daughters of the house dress in a white robe with a crown of lighted
candles and go singing from room to room early in the morning when it is still
dark to awaken the other family members and to offer them St. Lucy's Cakes
and hot coffee. [James Kiefer]