OREMUS: 11 December 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 10 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, December 11, 2005
The Third Sunday of Advent

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might!
You offer to your Church these holy days of Advent
to revive and sustain us in hope,
that we may walk as children of light, ever watchful,
and come at last to your eternal kingdom
where your Son, Jesus Christ reigns in peace.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 18:1-32

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.
The Lord rewarded me because of my righteous dealing;*
 because my hands were clean he rewarded me;
For I have kept the ways of the Lord*
 and have not offended against my God;
For all his judgements are before my eyes,*
 and his decrees I have not put away from me;
For I have been blameless with him*
 and have kept myself from iniquity;
Therefore the Lord rewarded me
   according to my righteous dealing,*
 because of the cleanness of my hands in his sight.
With the faithful you show yourself faithful, O God;*
 with the forthright you show yourself forthright.
With the pure you show yourself pure,*
 but with the crooked you are wily.
You will save a lowly people,*
 but you will humble the haughty eyes.
You, O Lord, are my lamp;*
 my God, you make my darkness bright.
With you I will break down an enclosure;*
 with the help of my God I will scale any wall.
As for God, his ways are perfect;
   the words of the Lord are tried in the fire;*
 he is a shield to all who trust in him.
For who is God, but the Lord?*
 who is the rock, except our God?

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Isaiah 60:15-22]:

Whereas you have been forsaken and hated,
   with no one passing through,
I will make you majestic for ever,
   a joy from age to age.
You shall suck the milk of nations,
   you shall suck the breasts of kings;
and you shall know that I, the LORD, am your Saviour
   and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.

Instead of bronze I will bring gold,
   instead of iron I will bring silver;
instead of wood, bronze,
   instead of stones, iron.
I will appoint Peace as your overseer
   and Righteousness as your taskmaster.
Violence shall no more be heard in your land,
   devastation or destruction within your borders;
you shall call your walls Salvation,
   and your gates Praise.
The sun shall no longer be
   your light by day,
nor for brightness shall the moon
   give light to you by night;
but the LORD will be your everlasting light,
   and your God will be your glory.
Your sun shall no more go down,
   or your moon withdraw itself;
for the LORD will be your everlasting light,
   and your days of mourning shall be ended.
Your people shall all be righteous;
   they shall possess the land for ever.
They are the shoot that I planted, the work of my
hands,
   so that I might be glorified.
The least of them shall become a clan,
   and the smallest one a mighty nation;
I am the LORD;
   in its time I will accomplish it quickly.

For another Biblical reading,
Luke 7:18-28

HYMN
Words: Sydney Carter &Copy;
Tune: Lord of the Dance
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i037.html

I danced in the morning
when the world was begun,
and I danced in the moon
and the stars and the sun,
and I came down from heaven
and I danced on the earth,
at Bethlehem
I had my birth.
Refrain:
Dance, then, wherever you may be,
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he,
and I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,
and I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he.

I danced for the scribe
and the pharisee,
but they would not dance
and they wouldn't follow me.
I danced for the fishermen,
for James and John -
they came with me
and the dance went on. Refrain

I danced on the Sabbath
and I cured the lame;
the holy people
said it was a shame.
they whipped and they stripped
and they hung me on high,
and they left me there
on a Cross to die. Refrain

I danced on a Friday
when the sky turned black;
it's hard to dance
with the devil on your back.
They buried my body
and they thought I'd gone,
but I am the Dance,
and I still go on. Refrain

They cut me down
and I leapt up high;
I am the life
that'll never, never die;
I'll live in you
if you'll live in me -
I am the Lord
of the Dance, said he. Refrain

As we wait with joy for the glory of the Lord,
let us offer prayers to God.

For all who are called to wait,
parents and children, artists and poets,
refugees and exiles, and for all who yearn for God:
that the Spirit may strengthen us
through bringing light and hope to our waiting.
Risen Lord, in your mercy:
Hear our prayer.

For freedom from judgment and prejudice:
that we may recognize the goodness in others
even when their actions try our patience.
Risen Lord, in your mercy:
Hear our prayer.

For all who struggle with doubt:
that our eyes and hearts may be opened to the marvelous things
which God does within us and around us.
Risen Lord, in your mercy:
Hear our prayer.

For an end to war and healing for the nations:
that violence and bloodshed may end,
the innocent may be sheltered, terrorism ended,
and peace be established in the hearts of all.
Risen Lord, in your mercy:
Hear our prayer.

For all who are gathered here
and for those who are absent:
that we may rejoice God's presence in our lives
and witness faithfully to the God who does wonders.
Risen Lord, in your mercy:
Hear our prayer.

For all who are facing their limits and brokenness,
for those who are weak, fearful, or mourning:
that they may experience the healing and renewing presence of God.
Risen Lord, in your mercy:
Hear our prayer.

Sustain us, O God, with the power of your love
on our journey to meet the One who is coming:
strengthen our weak hands, make firm our feeble knees,
and open blind eyes to the dawning of your kingdom,
so that our hearts may rejoice as we behold your majesty.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Kindle in us the fire of your Spirit
that when your Christ comes again
we may shine as lights before him. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1963 by Stainer & Bell Ltd.
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is adapted from a prayer from Saint Louis University.

The collect is from _Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in
Australia.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.