OREMUS: 9 December 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Dec 8 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, December 9, 2005

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might,
with tender comfort and transforming power
you come into our midst.
You remember your ancient promise
and make straight the paths that lead to you
and smooth out the rough ways,
that in our day
we might bring forth your compassion
for all humanity.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 108

My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.
So that those who are dear to you may be delivered,*
 save with your right hand and answer me.

Psalm 132

Lord, remember David*
 and all the hardships he endured;
How he swore an oath to the Lord*
 and vowed a vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:
'I will not come under the roof of my house,*
 nor climb up into my bed;
'I will not allow my eyes to sleep,*
 nor let my eyelids slumber;
'Until I find a place for the Lord,*
 a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob.'
'The Ark! We heard it was in Ephrathah;*
 we found it in the fields of Jearim.
'Let us go to God's dwelling place;*
 let us fall upon our knees before his footstool.'
Arise, O Lord, into your resting-place,*
 you and the ark of your strength.
Let your priests be clothed with righteousness;*
 let your faithful people sing with joy.
For your servant David's sake,*
 do not turn away the face of your anointed.
The Lord has sworn an oath to David;*
 in truth, he will not break it:
'A son, the fruit of your body*
 will I set upon your throne.
'If your children keep my covenant
   and my testimonies that I shall teach them,*
 their children will sit upon your throne for evermore.'
For the Lord has chosen Zion,*
 he has desired her for his habitation:
'This shall be my resting-place for ever;*
 here will I dwell, for I delight in her.
'I will surely bless her provisions,*
 and satisfy her poor with bread.
'I will clothe her priests with salvation,*
 and her faithful people will rejoice and sing.
'There will I make the horn of David flourish;*
 I have prepared a lamp for my anointed.
'As for his enemies, I will clothe them with shame;*
 but as for him, his crown will shine.'

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;

Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,

As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,

So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.

For Zion's sake, I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,

Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.

The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;

Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.

You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

READING [Revelation 3:1-16]:

'And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: These
are the words of him who has the seven spirits of God and
the seven stars:

'I know your works; you have a name for being alive, but
you are dead. Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is
at the point of death, for I have not found your works
perfect in the sight of my God. Remember then what you
received and heard; obey it, and repent. If you do not
wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know
at what hour I will come to you. Yet you have still a few
people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes; they
will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy.
If you conquer, you will be clothed like them in white
robes, and I will not blot your name out of the book of
life; I will confess your name before my Father and
before his angels. Let anyone who has an ear listen to
what the Spirit is saying to the churches.

'And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia
write:
These are the words of the holy one, the true one,
   who has the key of David,
   who opens and no one will shut,who shuts and no one
opens:

'I know your works. Look, I have set before you an open
door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have
but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have
not denied my name. I will make those of the synagogue of
Satan who say that they are Jews and are not, but are
lying I will make them come and bow down before your
feet, and they will learn that I have loved you. Because
you have kept my word of patient endurance, I will keep
you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole
world to test the inhabitants of the earth. I am coming
soon; hold fast to what you have, so that no one may
seize your crown. If you conquer, I will make you a
pillar in the temple of my God; you will never go out of
it. I will write on you the name of my God, and the name
of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem that comes down
from my God out of heaven, and my own new name. Let
anyone who has an ear listen to what the Spirit is saying
to the churches.

'And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The
words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the
origin of God's creation:

'I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I wish
that you were either cold or hot. So, because you are
lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit
you out of my mouth. '

For another Biblical reading,
Amos 4:6-13

HYMN
Words: W.C. Smith (1824-1908)
Tune: Picardy
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e007.html

Earth was waiting, spent and restless,
with a mingled hope and fear,
faithful men and women praying,
"Surely, Lord, the day is near:
the Desire of all the nations--
it is time he should appear!"

Then the Spirit of the Highest
to a Virgin meek came down,
and he burdened her with blessing,
and he pained her with renown;
for she bore the Lord's Anointed
for his cross and for his crown.

Earth has groaned and labored for him
since the ages first began,
for in him was hid the secret
which through all the ages ran--
Son of Mary, Son of David,
Son of God, and Son of Man.

To the poor and exploited;
to lives overshadowed by conflict,
come with your message of justice and peace
Come, reveal yourself within our world, Lord.

To the lonely and unloved;
to lives overshadowed by suffering,
come with your friendship and concern
Come, reveal yourself in our community, Lord.

To both young and old on the journey of faith;
to lives overshadowed by doubt,
come with the gift of your Holy Spirit.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Kitui, Keny
The Rt Revd Josephat Vundi Mule, Bishop.
Come, reveal yourself to the church, Lord.

To the sinner and the seeker;
to lives overshadowed by emptiness,
come with the offering of salvation
Come, reveal yourself in human lives, Lord.

To the sick and anxious;
to lives overshadowed by sorrow,
come with all-sufficient love
Come, that we may know you with us in our need, Lord.

Gracious Father,
by whose tender compassion
the light of Christ has dawned upon us:
Open our hearts, so that, joyfully receiving Christ,
we may declare his glory to the ends of the earth.
He lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Give us grace so to imitate your Son
in the humility and purity of his first coming
that, when he comes again,
we may be ready to greet him
with joyful love and firm faith. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a prayer reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts; and another sentence from
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_,
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.