OREMUS: 5 December 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Dec 4 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, December 5, 2005

Blessed are you, God of mercy and might,
with tender comfort and transforming power
you come into our midst.
You remember your ancient promise
and make straight the paths that lead to you
and smooth out the rough ways,
that in our day
we might bring forth your compassion
for all humanity.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 144

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
   who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
   from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*
 I will play to you on a ten-stringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
   well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
   increase by thousands and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
   no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

A Song of the Justified (Romans 4.24,25; 5.1-5,8,9,11)

God reckons as righteous those who believe,
who believe in him who raised Jesus from the dead;

For Christ was handed over to death for our sins,
and raised to life for our justification.

Since we are justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Through Christ we have gained access
to the grace in which we stand,
and rejoice in our hope of the glory of God.

We even exult in our sufferings,
for suffering produces endurance,

And endurance brings hope,
and our hope is not in vain,

Because God's love has been poured into our hearts,
through the Holy Spirit, given to us.

God proves his love for us:
while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Since we have been justified by his death,
how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath.

Therefore, we exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we have now received our reconciliation.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Revelation 1:1-8]:

The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to
show his servants what must soon take place; he made it
known by sending his angel to his servant John, who
testified to the word of God and to the testimony of
Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw.

Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of the
prophecy, and blessed are those who hear and who keep
what is written in it; for the time is near.

John to the seven churches that are in Asia:

Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and
who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before
his throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness,
the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of
the earth.

To him who loves us and freed us from our sins by his
blood, and made us to be a kingdom, priests serving his
God and Father, to him be glory and dominion for ever and
ever. Amen.
Look! He is coming with the clouds;
   every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him;
   and on his account all the tribes of the earth will
wail.
So it is to be. Amen.

'I am the Alpha and the Omega', says the Lord God, who is
and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.

For another Biblical reading,
Amos 1:1-5, 13 2:8

HYMN
Words: Godfrey Thring (1823-1903)
Tune: St. Thomas (Wade), Picardy, Rhuddlan
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j028.html

Jesus came--the heavens adoring--
came with peace from realms on high;
Jesus came for man's redemption,
lowly came on earth to die:
Alleluia, alleluia!
came in deep humility.

Jesus comes again in mercy,
when our hearts are bowed with care:
Jesus comes again in answer
to our earnest heart-felt prayer;
Alleluia, alleluia!
comes to save us from despair.

Jesus comes to hearts rejoicing,
bringing news of sins forgiven:
Jesus comes in sounds of gladness,
leading souls redeemed to heaven;
Alleluia, alleluia!
now the gate of death is riven.

Jesus comes on clouds triumphant,
when the heavens shall pass away;
Jesus comes again in glory;
let us then our homage pay;
Alleluia, alleluia!
till the dawn of endless day.

O God, you are filled with possibility and mystery.
You hold our anxieties and our hopes.

Your faithful forget to praise you, consumed by self-centered busyness,
O God of stillness, come into our hearts.

Your beloved community is baffled and broken,
O God of healing, come into our churches.

We pray especially today for the Diocese of
 Vermont, USA, The Rt Revd Thomas C Ely, Bishop.

Your people wander in the streets without a place to lay their head,
O God our resting place, come into our neighborhoods.

Your world is torn apart by war and conflict,
O God of Peace, come into our world.

Night and day, we wait and pray, for you, our Emmanuel. Amen.

O Lord, raise up, we pray, your power
and come among us,
and with great might succour us;
that whereas, through our sins and wickedness
we are grievously hindered
in running the race that is set before us,
your bountiful grace and mercy
may speedily help and deliver us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
to whom with you and the Holy Spirit,
be honour and glory, world without end.  Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Give us grace so to imitate your Son
in the humility and purity of his first coming
that, when he comes again,
we may be ready to greet him
with joyful love and firm faith. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a sentence from a prayer reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts; and another sentence from
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_,
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by Allison Hajdu-Paulen.

The collects are from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer from _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.