OREMUS: 31 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Aug 30 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Aidan, Bishop of Lindisfarne, Missionary, 651

Blessed are you, O God, our Creator,
for despite our poverty, brokenness and blindness,
you invite us to feast with you forever.
When we abandoned you, your love for us remained constant.
In mercy, you never abandoned us.
Instead you sent us your child, Jesus Christ,
who is the same yesterday, today and forever.
His witness to your all-embracing love
so offended the values of the world
that he was tortured to death.
But you raised him to new life,
and now, through him,
you call us to make our lives a pleasing sacrifice to you.

I will sing of mercy and justice;*
 to you, O Lord, will I sing praises.
I will strive to follow a blameless course;
   O when will you come to me?*
 I will walk with sincerity of heart within my house.
I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;*
 I hate the doers of evil deeds;
   they shall not remain with me.
A crooked heart shall be far from me;*
 I will not know evil.
My eyes are upon the faithful in the land,
   that they may dwell with me,*
 and only those who lead a blameless life
   shall be my servants.
Those who act deceitfully shall not dwell in my house,*
 and those who tell lies shall not continue in my sight.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Matthew 18:1-5]:

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, 'Who
is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?' He called a
child, whom he put among them, and said, 'Truly I tell
you, unless you change and become like children, you will
never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever becomes humble
like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.'

For another Biblical reading,
Judith 5:1-21

HYMN
Words: William Watkins Reid, Jr. (c)
Tune:  Dominica, Sandys, St. Ethelwald, St. Michael, Day of Praise, Falcon Street
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h201.html

Help us, O Lord, to learn
the truths thy word imparts:
to study that thy laws may be
inscribed upon our hearts.

Help us, O Lord, to live
the faith which we proclaim,
that all our thoughts and words and deeds
may glorify thy name.

Help us, O Lord, to teach
the beauty of thy ways,
that yearning souls may find the Christ,
and sing aloud his praise.

Earth-shaking, sky-rumbling, all-powerful Trinity:
Behold your Church.

We thank you for claiming for yourself
servants from every nation and time
to be a royal priest dedicated to your service.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

We thank you for our common vocation
of giving witness to your coming reign.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Sift us like wheat,
convert the catechumens,
turn homeward the penitents
and welcome those who are strangers.
Lord of glory,
send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Clothe your Church with words and deeds that free and heal.
We pray especially for the Diocese of
Ruwenzori, Uganda, The Rt Revd Benezeri Kisembo, Bishop.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

Light our lamps with the oil of your Spirit.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

Make us and all your Church vigilant and alert
for your knocking on doors.
Lord of glory,
come in your might.

Loving God,
help us to love what is truly perfect,
so that we may neither speak what is evil
nor do what is wrong.
Then bring us to stand in your presence,
to sing of your mercy and justice
in the company of all your saints,
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Everlasting God,
you sent the gentle bishop Aidan
to proclaim the gospel in England:
grant us to live as he taught
in simplicity, humility and love for the poor;

Lift up our hearts to see beyond the narrow limits of our words,
that we may be made ready for the coming of your blessing.Amen.

prayers in The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The
Episcopal Church_.

Hymn (c) 1959, renewed 1987 by The Hymn Society
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of
Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c)
1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

 The Gospel first came to the northern English in 627, When King Edwin of
Northumbria was converted by a mission from Canterbury led by Bishop
Paulinus, who established his see at York. Edwin's death in battle in 632 was
followed by a severe pagan reaction. A year later, Edwin's exiled nephew
Oswald gained the kingdom, and proceeded at once to restore the Christian
mission.
During his exile, Oswald had lived at Columba's monastery of Iona (see 9
June), where he had been converted and baptized. Hence he sent to Iona,
rather than to Canterbury, for missionaries. The first monk to preach was a
man named Corman, who had no success, and returned to Iona to complain
that the Northumbrians were a savage and unteachable race. A young monk
named Aidan responded, "Perhaps you were too harsh with them, and they
might have responded better to a gentler approach." At this, Aidan found
himself appointed to lead a second expedition to Northumbria. He centered his
work, not at York, but in imitation of his home monastery, on Lindisfarne, an
island off the northeast coast of England, now often called Holy Isle.
With his fellow monks and the English youths whom he trained, Aidan restored
Christianity in Northumbria, King Oswald often serving as his interpreter, and
extended the mission through the midlands as far south as London.
Aidan died at the royal town of Bamborough, 31 August, 651. The historian
Bede said of him: "He neither sought nor loved anything of this world, but
delighted in distributing immediately to the poor whatever was given him by
kings or rich men of the world. He traversed both town and country on foot,
never on horseback, unless compelled by some urgent necessity. Wherever on
his way he saw any, either rich or poor, he invited them, if pagans, to embrace
the mystery of the faith; or if they were believers, he sought to strengthen them
in their faith and stir them up by words and actions to alms and good works."
[James Kiefer]