OREMUS: 30 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 29 19:04:29 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Blessed are you, Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we give you thanks for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.

O Lord, my God, my Saviour,*
 by day and night I cry to you.
Let my prayer enter into your presence;*
 incline your ear to my lamentation.
For I am full of trouble;*
 my life is at the brink of the grave.
I am counted among those who go down to the Pit;*
 I have become like one who has no strength;
Lost among the dead,*
 like the slain who lie in the grave,
Whom you remember no more,*
 for they are cut off from your hand.
You have laid me in the depths of the Pit,*
 in dark places and in the abyss.
Your anger weighs upon me heavily,*
 and all your great waves overwhelm me.
You have put my friends far from me;
   you have made me to be abhorred by them;*
 I am in prison and cannot get free.
My sight has failed me because of trouble;*
 Lord, I have called upon you daily;
   I have stretched out my hands to you.
Do you work wonders for the dead?*
 will those who have died
   stand up and give you thanks?
Will your loving-kindness be declared in the grave?*
 your faithfulness in the land of destruction?
Will your wonders be known in the dark?*
 or your righteousness in the country
   where all is forgotten?
But as for me, O Lord, I cry to you for help;*
 in the morning my prayer comes before you.
Lord, why have you rejected me?*
 why have you hidden your face from me?
Ever since my youth,
   I have been wretched and at the point of death;*
 I have borne your terrors with a troubled mind.
Your blazing anger has swept over me;*
 your terrors have destroyed me;
They surround me all day long like a flood;*
 they encompass me on every side.
My friend and my neighbour you have put away from me,*
 and darkness is my only companion.

Psalm 119:25-32

My soul cleaves to the dust;*
 give me life according to your word.
I have confessed my ways and you answered me;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
Make me understand the way of your commandments,*
 that I may meditate on your marvellous works.
My soul melts away for sorrow;*
 strengthen me according to your word.
Take from me the way of lying;*
 let me find grace through your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;*
 I have set your judgements before me.
I hold fast to your decrees;*
 O Lord, let me not be put to shame.
I will run the way of your commandments,*
 for you have set my heart at liberty.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21:1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, my dwelling is with my people.

'I will dwell with them and they shall be mine,
and I myself will be with them.

'I will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.

'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'

And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

READING [Matthew 17:24-27]:

When they reached Capernaum, the collectors of the temple
tax came to Peter and said, 'Does your teacher not pay
the temple tax?' He said, 'Yes, he does.' And when he
came home, Jesus spoke of it first, asking, 'What do you
think, Simon? From whom do kings of the earth take toll
or tribute? From their children or from others?' When
Peter said, 'From others', Jesus said to him, 'Then the
children are free. However, so that we do not give
offence to them, go to the lake and cast a hook; take the
first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth,
you will find a coin; take that and give it to them for
you and me.'

For another Biblical reading,
Judith 4:1-15

HYMN
Words:  Carl P. Daw, Jr., (c) 1990
Tune: Aberystwyth
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s240.html

Soaring Spirit, set us free
from the tyranny of fear;
life of glorious liberty,
let your promised power appear:
drown the noise of Babel's tongues
in the murmur of the dove;
burn away our wasting wrongs
with the healing fire of love.

Unseen member of the dance
that unites the Trinity,
let the grace your presence grants
twine us in like mystery.
Breath of God, our lives inspire
till our hope and faith increase;
speak through us with tongues of fire;
send us forth to spread God's peace.

Baptizing God,
you have plunged us into the waters as death to sin
and have raised us to be alive to you in joy and service.

For all whose eager and resolute living in you
makes them saints to us:
We thank you, Lord.

For the community made holy in Christ,
the living and the dead, the near and the far away:
We thank you, Lord.

For the witness of your Church, especially the Diocese of
Ruvuma, Tanzania, The Rt Revd Dr. Maternus K Kapinga.
We thank you, Lord.

For an awareness of our kinship
to holy and just men and women:
We thank you, Lord.

For reminding us that perfection in you is a journey
of consistent love to you and to others:
We thank you, Lord.

For sustaining us in the faithful use of means of grace,
that we may resolve to live in your love and peace:
We thank you, Lord.

God of compassion and love,
forgive our sins,
relieve our misery,
satisfy our longing,
and fulfill all our hopes for peace;
through your Son Jesus Christ our Redeemer. Amen.

Lift up our hearts to see beyond the narrow limits of our words,
that we may be made ready for the coming of your blessing.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses sentences from prayers in The
Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The Episcopal
Church_.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing prayer uses a sentence from a prayer by Samuel H. Miller.