OREMUS: 28 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 27 20:28:12 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, August 28, 2005
The Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we give you thanks for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.

Israel came into Egypt,*
 and Jacob became a sojourner in the land of Ham.
The Lord made his people exceedingly fruitful;*
 he made them stronger than their enemies;
Whose heart he turned, so that they hated his people,*
 and dealt unjustly with his servants.
He sent Moses his servant,*
 and Aaron whom he had chosen.
They worked his signs among them,*
 and portents in the land of Ham.
He sent darkness and it grew dark;*
 but the Egyptians rebelled against his words.
He turned their waters into blood*
 and caused their fish to die.
Their land was overrun by frogs,*
 in the very chambers of their kings.
He spoke and there came swarms of insects*
 and gnats within all their borders.
He gave them hailstones instead of rain,*
 and flames of fire throughout their land.
He blasted their vines and their fig trees*
 and shattered every tree in their country.
He spoke and the locust came,*
 and young locusts without number,
Which ate up all the green plants in their land*
 and devoured the fruit of their soil.
He struck down the first-born of their land,*
 the first-fruits of all their strength.
He led out his people with silver and gold;*
 in all their tribes there was not one that stumbled.
Egypt was glad of their going,*
 because they were afraid of them.
He spread out a cloud for a covering*
 and a fire to give light in the night season.
They asked and quails appeared,*
 and he satisfied them with bread from heaven.
He opened the rock and water flowed,*
 so the river ran in the dry places.
For God remembered his holy word*
 and Abraham his servant.
So he led forth his people with gladness,*
 his chosen with shouts of joy.
He gave his people the lands of the nations,*
 and they took the fruit of others' toil,
That they might keep his statutes*
 and observe his laws.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 11]:

The LORD said to Moses, 'I will bring one more plague
upon Pharaoh and upon Egypt; afterwards he will let you
go from here; indeed, when he lets you go, he will drive
you away. Tell the people that every man is to ask his
neighbour and every woman is to ask her neighbour for
objects of silver and gold.' The LORD gave the people
favour in the sight of the Egyptians. Moreover, Moses
himself was a man of great importance in the land of
Egypt, in the sight of Pharaoh's officials, and in the
sight of the people.
Moses said, 'Thus says the LORD: About midnight I will go
out through Egypt. Every firstborn in the land of Egypt
shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sits on his
throne to the firstborn of the female slave who is behind
the handmill, and all the firstborn of the livestock.
Then there will be a loud cry throughout the whole land
of Egypt, such as has never been nor will ever be again.
But not a dog shall growl at any of the Israelites not at
people, not at animals so that you may know that the LORD
makes a distinction between Egypt and Israel. Then all
these officials of yours shall come down to me, and bow
low to me, saying, "Leave us, you and all the people who
follow you." After that I will leave.' And in hot anger
he left Pharaoh.
The LORD said to Moses, 'Pharaoh will not listen to you,
in order that my wonders may be multiplied in the land of
Egypt.' Moses and Aaron performed all these wonders
before Pharaoh; but the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart,
and he did not let the people of Israel go out of his
land.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 13:1-8

HYMN
Words: African-American spiritual
Tune: Go Down, Moses
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w305.html

When Israel was in Egypt's land,
let my people go;
oppressed so hard they could not stand,
let my people go.
Refrain:
Go down, Moses,
way down in Egypt's land;
tell old Pharaoh
to let my people go.

The Lord told Moses what to do,
let my people go;
to lead the children of Israel through,
let my people go. Refrain

They journeyed on at his command,
let my people go;
and came at length to Canaan's land,
let my people go. Refrain

Oh, let us all from bondage flee,
let my people go;
and let us all in Christ be free,
let my people go. Refrain

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Lord of all power and might,
the author and giver of all good things:
Graft in our hearts the love of your Name;
increase in us true religion; nourish us with all goodness;
and bring forth in us the fruit of good works;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the love of God,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all. Amen.

prayers in The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The
Episcopal Church_.

of The Episcopal Church_.