OREMUS: 27 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Aug 26 20:09:44 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, August 27, 2005

Blessed are you, Almighty God, Father of all mercies,
we give you thanks for all your goodness and loving-kindness
to us and to all whom you have made.
We bless you for our creation, preservation,
and all the blessings of this life;
but above all for your immeasurable love
in the redemption of the world by our Lord Jesus Christ;
for the means of grace, and for the hope of glory.

Give thanks to the Lord and call upon his name;*
 make known his deeds among the peoples.
Sing to him, sing praises to him,*
 and speak of all his marvellous works.
Glory in his holy name;*
 let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
Search for the Lord and his strength;*
 continually seek his face.
Remember the marvels he has done,*
 his wonders and the judgements of his mouth,
O offspring of Abraham his servant,*
 O children of Jacob his chosen.
He is the Lord our God;*
 his judgements prevail in all the world.
He has always been mindful of his covenant,*
 the promise he made for a thousand generations:
The covenant he made with Abraham,*
 the oath that he swore to Isaac,
Which he established as a statute for Jacob,*
 an everlasting covenant for Israel,
Saying, 'To you will I give the land of Canaan*
 to be your allotted inheritance.'
When they were few in number,*
 of little account and sojourners in the land,
Wandering from nation to nation*
 and from one kingdom to another,
He let no one oppress them*
 and rebuked kings for their sake,
Saying, 'Do not touch my anointed*
 and do my prophets no harm.'
Then he called for a famine in the land*
 and destroyed the supply of bread.
He sent a man before them,*
 Joseph, who was sold as a slave.
They bruised his feet in fetters;*
 his neck they put in an iron collar.
Until his prediction came to pass,*
 the word of the Lord tested him.
The king sent and released him;*
 the ruler of the peoples set him free.
He set him as master over his household,*
 as a ruler over all his possessions,
To instruct his princes according to his will*
 and to teach his elders wisdom.
Israel came into Egypt,*
 and Jacob became a sojourner in the land of Ham.
The Lord made his people exceedingly fruitful;*
 he made them stronger than their enemies;
Whose heart he turned, so that they hated his people,*
 and dealt unjustly with his servants.
He sent Moses his servant,*
 and Aaron whom he had chosen.
They worked his signs among them,*
 and portents in the land of Ham.
He sent darkness and it grew dark;*
 but the Egyptians rebelled against his words.
He turned their waters into blood*
 and caused their fish to die.
Their land was overrun by frogs,*
 in the very chambers of their kings.
He spoke and there came swarms of insects*
 and gnats within all their borders.
He gave them hailstones instead of rain,*
 and flames of fire throughout their land.
He blasted their vines and their fig trees*
 and shattered every tree in their country.
He spoke and the locust came,*
 and young locusts without number,
Which ate up all the green plants in their land*
 and devoured the fruit of their soil.
He struck down the first-born of their land,*
 the first-fruits of all their strength.
He led out his people with silver and gold;*
 in all their tribes there was not one that stumbled.
Egypt was glad of their going,*
 because they were afraid of them.
He spread out a cloud for a covering*
 and a fire to give light in the night season.
They asked and quails appeared,*
 and he satisfied them with bread from heaven.
He opened the rock and water flowed,*
 so the river ran in the dry places.
For God remembered his holy word*
 and Abraham his servant.
So he led forth his people with gladness,*
 his chosen with shouts of joy.
He gave his people the lands of the nations,*
 and they took the fruit of others' toil,
That they might keep his statutes*
 and observe his laws.
   Alleluia!

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [2 Kings 6:24-25;7:3-20]:

Some time later King Ben-hadad of Aram mustered his
entire army; he marched against Samaria and laid siege to
it. As the siege continued, famine in Samaria became so
great that a donkey's head was sold for eighty shekels of
silver, and one-fourth of a kab of dove's dung for five
shekels of silver.
Now there were four leprous men outside the city gate,
who said to one another, 'Why should we sit here until we
die? If we say, "Let us enter the city", the famine is in
the city, and we shall die there; but if we sit here, we
shall also die. Therefore, let us desert to the Aramean
camp; if they spare our lives, we shall live; and if they
kill us, we shall but die.' So they arose at twilight to
go to the Aramean camp; but when they came to the edge of
the Aramean camp, there was no one there at all. For the
Lord had caused the Aramean army to hear the sound of
chariots and of horses, the sound of a great army, so
that they said to one another, 'The king of Israel has
hired the kings of the Hittites and the kings of Egypt to
fight against us.' So they fled away in the twilight and
abandoned their tents, their horses, and their donkeys,
leaving the camp just as it was, and fled for their
lives. When these leprous men had come to the edge of the
camp, they went into a tent, ate and drank, carried off
silver, gold, and clothing, and went and hid them. Then
they came back, entered another tent, carried off things
from it, and went and hid them.
Then they said to one another, 'What we are doing is
wrong. This is a day of good news; if we are silent and
wait until the morning light, we will be found guilty;
therefore let us go and tell the king's household.' So
they came and called to the gatekeepers of the city, and
told them, 'We went to the Aramean camp, but there was no
one to be seen or heard there, nothing but the horses
tied, the donkeys tied, and the tents as they were.' Then
the gatekeepers called out and proclaimed it to the
king's household. The king got up in the night, and said
to his servants, 'I will tell you what the Arameans have
prepared against us. They know that we are starving; so
they have left the camp to hide themselves in the open
country, thinking, "When they come out of the city, we
shall take them alive and get into the city." ' One of
his servants said, 'Let some men take five of the
remaining horses, since those left here will suffer the
fate of the whole multitude of Israel that have perished
already; let us send and find out.' So they took two
mounted men, and the king sent them after the Aramean
army, saying, 'Go and find out.' So they went after them
as far as the Jordan; the whole way was littered with
garments and equipment that the Arameans had thrown away
in their haste. So the messengers returned, and told the
king.
Then the people went out, and plundered the camp of the
Arameans. So a measure of choice meal was sold for a
shekel, and two measures of barley for a shekel,
according to the word of the LORD. Now the king had
appointed the captain on whose hand he leaned to have
charge of the gate; the people trampled him to death in
the gate, just as the man of God had said when the king
came down to him. For when the man of God had said to the
king, 'Two measures of barley shall be sold for a shekel,
and a measure of choice meal for a shekel, about this
time tomorrow in the gate of Samaria', the captain had
answered the man of God, 'Even if the LORD were to make
windows in the sky, could such a thing happen?' And he
had answered, 'You shall see it with your own eyes, but
you shall not eat from it.' It did indeed happen to him;
the people trampled him to death in the gate.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 18:1-16

HYMN
Words: Henry Francis Lyte (1793-1847), 1834
Tune: Lauda anima
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p058.html

Praise, my soul, the King of heaven;
to his feet thy tribute bring;
ransomed, healed, restored, forgiven,
evermore his praises sing:
Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise the everlasting King.

Praise him for his grace and favor
to our fathers in distress;
praise him still the same for ever,
slow to chide and swift to bless:
Alleluia, alleluia!
Glorious in his faithfulness.

Father-like, he tends and spares us;
well our feeble frame he knows;
in his hand he gently bears us,
rescues us from all our foes.
Alleluia, alleluia!
Widely yet his mercy flows.

Angels, help us to adore him;
ye behold him face to face;
sun and moon, bow down before him,
dwellers all in time and space.
Alleluia, alleluia!
Praise with us the God of grace.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy Catholic Church:
We pray especially for the Diocese of Rokon, Sudan
 The Rt Revd Francis Loyo, Bishop.
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church
may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority
in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer
from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
may they rest in your peace.

We praise you for all your saints
who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

Merciful God,
you brought your people out of slavery
and led them to freedom in the promised land;
feed us on our journey with the bread of heaven
that we may hunger and thirst for righteousness
until your kingdom comes;

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the love of God,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all. Amen.

The canticle and collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

prayers in The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The
Episcopal Church_.