OREMUS: 24 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Aug 23 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, August 24, 2005
Saint Bartholomew the Apostle

Blessed are you, God of mystery,
for your servant Bartholomew,
the apostle whom we know only by name:
even though death and time will take away
the memory of our work and life,
our faith will remain always in your sight, O Lord.
For this and all your mercies, we praise you,

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Ecclesiasticus 38:34b-39:10]:

How different the one who devotes himself
   to the study of the law of the Most High!
He seeks out the wisdom of all the ancients,
   and is concerned with prophecies;
he preserves the sayings of the famous
   and penetrates the subtleties of parables;
he seeks out the hidden meanings of proverbs
   and is at home with the obscurities of parables.
He serves among the great
   and appears before rulers;
he travels in foreign lands
   and learns what is good and evil in the human lot.
He sets his heart on rising early
   to seek the Lord who made him,
   and to petition the Most High;
he opens his mouth in prayer
   and asks pardon for his sins.

If the great Lord is willing,
   he will be filled with the spirit of
understanding;
he will pour forth words of wisdom of his own
   and give thanks to the Lord in prayer.
The Lord will direct his counsel and knowledge,
   as he meditates on his mysteries.
He will show the wisdom of what he has learned,
   and will glory in the law of the Lord's covenant.
Many will praise his understanding;
   it will never be blotted out.
His memory will not disappear,
   and his name will live through all generations.
Nations will speak of his wisdom,
   and the congregation will proclaim his praise.

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 10:1-12

HYMN
Words: Latin; trans. Richard Mant, 1837, as modified in Hymns Anicent & Modern
Tune: Rex gloriose martyrum
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l028.html

Let all on earth their voices raise,
re-echoing heaven's triumphant praise,
to him who gave the apostles grace
to run on earth their glorious race.

Thou art whose word they bore the light
of Gospel truth o'er heathen night,
to us that heavenly light impart,
to glad our eyes and cheer our heart.

Thou art whose will to them was given
to bind and loose in earth and heaven,
our chains unbind, our sins undo,
and in our hearts thy grace renew.

Thou in whose might they spake the word
which cured disease and health restored,
to us its healing power prolong,
support the weak, confirm the strong.

And when the thrones are set on high,
and judgment's awful hour draws nigh,
then, Lord, with them pronounce us blessed,
and take us to thine endless rest.

Let us pray to God,
whose word was entrusted to the Apostles
and has spread to all the world.

Empower your Church
to proclaim the saving message of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Give us courage and strength
to spread the Gospel in places
where it has not been preached.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Bless us in our personal lives
that we may live fully according to Jesus' example.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Open our eyes to your Word in the Holy Scriptures
that we find new paths of understanding.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Remember, in your mercy, those who have gone before
marked with the sign of faith and led by the Gospel.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Almighty and everlasting God,
who gave to your apostle Bartholomew grace
truly to believe and to preach your word:
grant that your Church
may love that word which he believed
and may faithfully preach and receive the same;

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the love of God,
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is inspired
by a hymn by Jan Struther, 1931.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner and is inspired and uses a few phrases
from a prayer by Raymond Chapman in _Leading Intercessions_,
(c) 2000, Canterbury Press.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service
is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The closing sentence uses phrases from a collect in _Common Worship:
Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The name "Bartholomew" appears in the New Testament only on lists of the
names of the twelve apostles. This list normally is given as six pairs, and the
third pair in each of the Synoptics is "Philip and Bartholomew".
John gives no list of the Twelve, but refers to more of them individually than
the writers of the synoptic Gospels. He does not name Bartholomew, but early
in his account he tells of the call to discipleship of a Nathaniel who is often
supposed to be the same person. The reasoning is as follows: John's Nathanael
is introduced as one of the earliest followers of Jesus, and in terms which
suggest that he became one of the Twelve. He is clearly not the same as Peter,
Andrew, James, John, Philip, Thomas, Judas Iscariot, Judas (not Iscariot, also
called Lebbaeus or Thaddeus), all of whom John names separately. He is not
Matthew, whose call is described differently. This leaves Bartholomew, James
the son of Alpheus, and Simon Zelotes. Of these, Bartholomew is the leading
candidate for two reasons:
(1) "Bar-tholomew" is a patronymic, meaning "son of Tolmai (or Talmai)." It
is therefore likely that he had another name."Nathanael son of Tolmai" seems
more likely than "Nathanael also called James (or Simon)."
(2) Nathanael is introduced in John's narrative as a friend of Philip. Since
Bartholomew is paired with Philip on three of our four lists of Apostles, it
seems likely that they were associated.
We have no certain information about Bartholomew's later life. Some writers,
including the historian Eusebius of Caesarea, say that he preached in India. The
majority tradition, with varying details, is that Bartholomew preached in
Armenia, and was finally skinned alive and beheaded to Albanus or Albanopolis
on the Caspian Sea. His emblem in art is a flaying knife. The flayed
Bartholomew can be seen in Michelangelo's Sistine painting of the Last
Judgement. He is holding his skin. The face on the skin is generally considered
to be a self-portrait of Michelangelo.