OREMUS: 19 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Aug 18 21:15:32 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, August 19, 2005

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

READING [Matthew 16:1-12]:

The Pharisees and Sadducees came, and to test Jesus they
asked him to show them a sign from heaven. He answered
them, 'When it is evening, you say, "It will be fair
weather, for the sky is red." And in the morning, "It
will be stormy today, for the sky is red and
threatening." You know how to interpret the appearance of
the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
An evil and adulterous generation asks for a sign, but no
sign will be given to it except the sign of Jonah.' Then
he left them and went away.
When the disciples reached the other side, they had
forgotten to bring any bread. Jesus said to them, 'Watch
out, and beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and
Sadducees.' They said to one another, 'It is because we
have brought no bread.' And becoming aware of it, Jesus
said, 'You of little faith, why are you talking about
having no bread? Do you still not perceive? Do you not
remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how
many baskets you gathered? Or the seven loaves for the
four thousand, and how many baskets you gathered? How
could you fail to perceive that I was not speaking about
bread? Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and
Sadducees!' Then they understood that he had not told
them to beware of the yeast of bread, but of the teaching
of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Maccabees 3:42-60

HYMN
Words:  Martin Luther , 1524; trans. Richard Massie, 1854
Tune: Christ lag in Todesbanden
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c085.html

Christ Jesus lay in death's strong bands
for our offenses given;
but now at God's right hand he stands
and brings us life from heaven;
wherefore let us joyful be,
and sing to God right thankfully
loud songs of alleluia!
Alleluia!

It was a strange and dreadful strife
when life and death contended;
the victory remained with life,
the reign of death was ended;
stripped of power, no more it reigns,
an empty form alone remains;
death's sting is lost for ever!
Alleluia!

So let us keep the festival
where to the Lord invites us;
Christ is himself the joy of all,
the sun that warms and lights us;
by his grace he doth impart
eternal sunshine to the heart;
the night of sin is ended!
Alleluia!

Then let us feast this Easter day
on the true bread of heaven;
the word of grace hath purged away
the old and wicked leaven;
Christ alone our souls will feed,
he is our meat and drink indeed;
faith lives upon no other!

Beginning and End of all things,
we bless you for the present that is ever yielding
to your new heaven and new earth.

For all the means of grace,
we praise you, O Lord.

For every prompting of your Spirit
we praise you, O Lord.

We yield our cares to your unceasing mercy:
Attend the sick and the suffering,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Touch the dying:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Claim the newborn:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shelter the homeless:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Sing in the fearful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Chasten the arrogant and powerful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Lift up the lowly:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Center the Church, especially in the Diocese of
Rio Grande, USA, The Rt Revd Dr. Jeffrey Neil Steenson, Bishop.
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Grant peace to Jerusalem and every people:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shape our lives by the mystery
of Christ crucified, risen and interceding for us:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Take away, O Lord, the sin that corrupts us;
restore by grace your own image within us;
give us the sorrow that heals
and the joy that praises,
that we may take our place among your people,
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of
Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c)
1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.