OREMUS: 18 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Aug 17 22:33:12 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, August 18, 2005
William Porcher DuBose, Priest, 1918
In Memory of Frere Roger of Taize

Blessed are you, God of compassion and mercy,
shepherd and protector of your grieving people,
their beginning and their ending.
Lead us to a place of peace and refreshment;
guide us to springs of life-giving water;
wipe away the tears from our eyes
and bring us to heaven
where there is no more death,
no more grief or crying or pain
in your presence, Father, Son and Holy Spirit:

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

A Song of the New Jerusalem (Isaiah 60.1-3,11a,18,19,14b

Arise, shine out, for your light has come,
the glory of the Lord is rising upon you.

Though night still covers the earth,
and darkness the peoples;

Above you the Holy One arises,
and above you God's glory appears.

The nations will come to your light,
and kings to your dawning brightness.

Your gates will lie open continually,
shut neither by day nor by night.

The sound of violence shall be heard no longer in your land,
or ruin and devastation within your borders.

You will call your walls, Salvation,
and your gates, Praise.

No more will the sun give you daylight,
nor moonlight shine upon you;

But the Lord will be your everlasting light,
your God will be your splendour.

For you shall be called the city of God,
the dwelling of the Holy One of Israel.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [1 Peter 1:3-9]:

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!
By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a
living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from
the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable,
undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are
being protected by the power of God through faith for a
salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this
you rejoice, even if now for a little while you have had
to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your
faith being more precious than gold that, though
perishable, is tested by fire may be found to result in
praise and glory and honour when Jesus Christ is
revealed. Although you have not seen him, you love him;
and even though you do not see him now, you believe in
him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy,
for you are receiving the outcome of your faith, the
salvation of your souls.

For another Biblical reading,
John 14:1-6

HYMN
Words: traditional
Tune: Taize

Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.

 God of mercy, Lord of life,
you have made us in your image
to reflect your truth and light:
we give you thanks for Roger ,
for the grace and mercy he received from you,
for all that was good in his life,
for the memories we treasure today.

Lord, in your mercy
hear our prayer.

You promised eternal life to those who believe.
Remember for good this your servant Roger
as we also remember him.
Bring all who rest in Christ
into the fullness of your kingdom
where sins have been forgiven
and death is no more.

Lord, in your mercy
hear our prayer.

Your mighty power brings joy out of grief
and life out of death.
Look in mercy on the Taize Community and all who mourn.
Give them patient faith in times of darkness.
Strengthen them with the knowledge of your love.

Lord, in your mercy
hear our prayer.

You are tender towards your children
and your mercy is over all your works.
Heal the memories of hurt and failure.
Give us the wisdom and grace to use aright
the time that is left to us here on earth,
to turn to Christ and follow in his steps
in the way that leads to everlasting life.

Lord, in your mercy
hear our prayer.

God of mercy,
entrusting into your hands all that you have made
and rejoicing in our communion with all your faithful people,
we make our prayers through Jesus Christ our Saviour. Amen.

Christ of compassion,
you enable us to be in communion
with those who have gone before us,
and who can remain so close to us.
We confide into your hands our Brother Roger.
He already contemplates the invisible.
In his footsteps, you are preparing us
to welcome a radiance of your brightness. Amen.

The Lord God almighty is our Father:
he loves us and tenderly cares for us.

The Lord Jesus Christ is our Saviour:
he has redeemed us and will defend us to the end.

The Lord, the Holy Spirit is among us:
he will lead us in God's holy way.

To God almighty, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
be praise and glory today and for ever.  Amen.

The prayers of this service are from _Common Worship: Pastoral
Services_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council. Reproduced with
permission

The collect is from the Taize Community.