OREMUS: 16 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 15 20:15:53 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, August 16, 2005

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of God's Chosen One (Isaiah 11.1-4a,6,9)

There shall come forth a shoot from the stock of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots.

And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him,
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,

The spirit of counsel and might,
the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.

He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
or decide by what his ears hear,

But with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
and decide with equity for the meek of the earth.

The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,
and the leopard shall lie down with the kid.

The calf, the lion and the fatling together,
with a little child to lead them.

They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain,
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord
as the waters cover the sea.

READING [Genesis 49:29-50:7]:

Then he charged them, saying to them, 'I am about to be
gathered to my people. Bury me with my ancestors in the
cave in the field of Ephron the Hittite, in the cave in
the field at Machpelah, near Mamre, in the land of
Canaan, in the field that Abraham bought from Ephron the
Hittite as a burial site. There Abraham and his wife
Sarah were buried; there Isaac and his wife Rebekah were
buried; and there I buried Leah  the field and the cave
that is in it were purchased from the Hittites.' When
Jacob ended his charge to his sons, he drew up his feet
into the bed, breathed his last, and was gathered to his
people.
Then Joseph threw himself on his father's face and wept
over him and kissed him. Joseph commanded the physicians
in his service to embalm his father. So the physicians
embalmed Israel; they spent forty days in doing this, for
that is the time required for embalming. And the
Egyptians wept for him for seventy days.
When the days of weeping for him were past, Joseph
addressed the household of Pharaoh, 'If now I have found
favour with you, please speak to Pharaoh as follows: My
father made me swear an oath; he said, "I am about to
die. In the tomb that I hewed out for myself in the land
of Canaan, there you shall bury me." Now therefore let me
go up, so that I may bury my father; then I will return.'
Pharaoh answered, 'Go up, and bury your father, as he
made you swear to do.'
So Joseph went up to bury his father. With him went up
all the servants of Pharaoh, the elders of his household,
and all the elders of the land of Egypt.

For another Biblical reading,
Mark 8:11-21

HYMN
Words: Scottish Psalter, 1650
Tune: York
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p120.html

Pray that Jerusalem may have
peace and felicity:
let them that love thee and thy peace
have still prosperity.

Therefore I wish that peace may still
within thy walls remain,
and ever may thy palaces
prosperity retain.

Now, for my friends and brethren's sake,
peace be in thee, I'll say,
and for the house of God our Lord
I'll seek thy good alway.

Ever-present Spirit of God,
as we abide with you and you with us,
we cry out for our brothers and sisters:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For all who suffer want, loneliness or depression:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For racial, cultural and national groups
who suffer prejudice, oppressive leaders
or economic exploitation.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in every place,
especially the Diocese of Rhode Island, USA,
The Rt Revd Geralyn Wolf, Bishop.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in those places where it suffers
blindness, controversy, disorientation,
persecution or change.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For those we have to tried to love and serve today.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

Blessed are you, Creator of the universe:
In your loving kindness you watch over your chosen people.
Make us witnesses to your truth
and instruments of your peace
that all may know you as the God of justice,
and praise your holy Name;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of
Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c)
1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com