OREMUS: 14 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 13 19:07:39 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, August 14, 2005
The Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

May God be merciful to us and bless us,*
 show us the light of his countenance and come to us.
Let your ways be known upon earth,*
 your saving health among all nations.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,*
 for you judge the peoples with equity
   and guide all the nations upon earth.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
The earth has brought forth her increase;*
 may God, our own God, give us his blessing.
May God give us his blessing,*
 and may all the ends of the earth stand in awe of him.

Psalm 92

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,*
 and to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning*
 and of your faithfulness in the night season;
On the psaltery and on the lyre*
 and to the melody of the harp.
For you have made me glad by your acts, O Lord;*
 and I shout for joy because of the works of your hands.
Lord, how great are your works!*
 your thoughts are very deep.
The dullard does not know,
   nor does the fool understand,*
 that though the wicked grow like weeds,
   and all the workers of iniquity flourish,
They flourish only to be destroyed for ever;*
 but you, O Lord, are exalted for evermore.
For lo, your enemies, O Lord,
   lo, your enemies shall perish,*
 and all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.
But my horn you have exalted
   like the horns of wild bulls;*
 I am anointed with fresh oil.
My eyes also gloat over my enemies,*
 and my ears rejoice to hear the doom of the wicked
   who rise up against me.
The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,*
 and shall spread abroad like a cedar of Lebanon.
Those who are planted in the house of the Lord*
 shall flourish in the courts of our God;
They shall still bear fruit in old age;*
 they shall be green and succulent;
That they may show how upright the Lord is,*
 my rock, in whom there is no fault.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Genesis 48:8-20]:

When Israel saw Joseph's sons, he said, 'Who are these?'
Joseph said to his father, 'They are my sons, whom God
has given me here.' And he said, 'Bring them to me,
please, that I may bless them.' Now the eyes of Israel
were dim with age, and he could not see well. So Joseph
brought them near him; and he kissed them and embraced
them. Israel said to Joseph, 'I did not expect to see
your face; and here God has let me see your children
also.' Then Joseph removed them from his father's knees,
and he bowed himself with his face to the earth. Joseph
took them both, Ephraim in his right hand towards
Israel's left, and Manasseh in his left hand towards
Israel's right, and brought them near him. But Israel
stretched out his right hand and laid it on the head of
Ephraim, who was the younger, and his left hand on the
head of Manasseh, crossing his hands, for Manasseh was
the firstborn. He blessed Joseph, and said,
'The God before whom my ancestors Abraham and Isaac
walked,
the God who has been my shepherd all my life to this
day,
the angel who has redeemed me from all harm, bless the
boys;
and in them let my name be perpetuated, and the name of
my ancestors Abraham and Isaac;
and let them grow into a multitude on the earth.'
When Joseph saw that his father laid his right hand on
the head of Ephraim, it displeased him; so he took his
father's hand, to remove it from Ephraim's head to
Manasseh's head. Joseph said to his father, 'Not so, my
father! Since this one is the firstborn, put your right
hand on his head.' But his father refused, and said, 'I
know, my son, I know; he also shall become a people, and
he also shall be great. Nevertheless, his younger brother
shall be greater than he, and his offspring shall become
a multitude of nations.' So he blessed them that day,
saying,
'By you Israel will invoke blessings, saying,
"God make you like Ephraim and like Manasseh." '
So he put Ephraim ahead of Manasseh.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 11:17-28

HYMN
Words: William Kethe (died 1594), 1561
Tune: Old 100th
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a142.html

All people that on earth do dwell,
sing to the Lord with cheerful voice:
him serve with mirth, his praise forth tell,
come ye before him and rejoice.

The Lord, ye know, is God indeed;
without our aid he did us make:
we are his folk, he doth us feed,
and for his sheep he doth us take.

O enter then his gates with praise,
approach with joy his courts unto;
praise, laud, and bless his Name always,
for it is seemly so to do.

For why? the Lord our God is good,
his mercy is for ever sure;
his truth at all times firmly stood,
and shall from age to age endure.

To Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
the God whom heaven and earth adore,
from men and from the angel host
be praise and glory evermore.

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
you have broken the tyranny of sin
and sent into our hearts the Spirit of your Son:
Give us grace to dedicate our freedom to your service,
that all people may know the glorious liberty of the children of God;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intecession is slightly adapted Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John Knox Press.