OREMUS: 13 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Aug 12 20:47:27 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, August 13, 2005
Jeremy Taylor, Bishop of Down and Connor, Teacher of the Faith, 1667

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [2 Kings 4:1-37]:

Now the wife of a member of the company of prophets cried to Elisha, 'Your servant
my husband is dead; and you know that your servant feared the LORD, but a creditor
has come to take my two children as slaves.' Elisha said to her, 'What shall I do for
you? Tell me, what do you have in the house?' She answered, 'Your servant has
nothing in the house, except a jar of oil.' He said, 'Go outside, borrow vessels from all
your neighbours, empty vessels and not just a few. Then go in, and shut the door
behind you and your children, and start pouring into all these vessels; when each is full,
set it aside.' So she left him and shut the door behind her and her children; they kept
bringing vessels to her, and she kept pouring. When the vessels were full, she said to
her son, 'Bring me another vessel.' But he said to her, 'There are no more.' Then the
oil stopped flowing. She came and told the man of God, and he said, 'Go, sell the oil
and pay your debts, and you and your children can live on the rest.'
One day Elisha was passing through Shunem, where a wealthy woman lived, who
urged him to have a meal. So whenever he passed that way, he would stop there for a
meal. She said to her husband, 'Look, I am sure that this man who regularly passes our
way is a holy man of God. Let us make a small roof chamber with walls, and put there
for him a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp, so that he can stay there whenever he comes
to us.'
One day when he came there, he went up to the chamber and lay down there. He said
to his servant Gehazi, 'Call the Shunammite woman.' When he had called her, she
stood before him. He said to him, 'Say to her, Since you have taken all this trouble for
us, what may be done for you? Would you have a word spoken on your behalf to the
king or to the commander of the army?' She answered, 'I live among my own people.'
He said, 'What then may be done for her?' Gehazi answered, 'Well, she has no son,
and her husband is old.' He said, 'Call her.' When he had called her, she stood at the
door. He said, 'At this season, in due time, you shall embrace a son.' She replied, 'No,
my lord, O man of God; do not deceive your servant.'
The woman conceived and bore a son at that season, in due time, as Elisha had
declared to her.
When the child was older, he went out one day to his father among the reapers. He
complained to his father, 'Oh, my head, my head!' The father said to his servant,
'Carry him to his mother.' He carried him and brought him to his mother; the child sat
on her lap until noon, and he died. She went up and laid him on the bed of the man of
God, closed the door on him, and left. Then she called to her husband, and said, 'Send
me one of the servants and one of the donkeys, so that I may quickly go to the man of
God and come back again.' He said, 'Why go to him today? It is neither new moon
nor sabbath.' She said, 'It will be all right.' Then she saddled the donkey and said to
her servant, 'Urge the animal on; do not hold back for me unless I tell you.' So she set
out, and came to the man of God at Mount Carmel.
When the man of God saw her coming, he said to Gehazi his servant, 'Look, there is
the Shunammite woman; run at once to meet her, and say to her, Are you all right? Is
your husband all right? Is the child all right?' She answered, 'It is all right.' When she
came to the man of God at the mountain, she caught hold of his feet. Gehazi
approached to push her away. But the man of God said, 'Let her alone, for she is in
bitter distress; the LORD has hidden it from me and has not told me.' Then she said,
'Did I ask my lord for a son? Did I not say, Do not mislead me?' He said to Gehazi,
'Gird up your loins, and take my staff in your hand, and go. If you meet anyone, give
no greeting, and if anyone greets you, do not answer; and lay my staff on the face of
the child.' Then the mother of the child said, 'As the LORD lives, and as you yourself
live, I will not leave without you.' So he rose up and followed her. Gehazi went on
ahead and laid the staff on the face of the child, but there was no sound or sign of life.
He came back to meet him and told him, 'The child has not awakened.'
When Elisha came into the house, he saw the child lying dead on his bed. So he went
in and closed the door on the two of them, and prayed to the LORD. Then he got up
on the bed and lay upon the child, putting his mouth upon his mouth, his eyes upon his
eyes, and his hands upon his hands; and while he lay bent over him, the flesh of the
child became warm. He got down, walked once to and fro in the room, then got up
again and bent over him; the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.
Elisha summoned Gehazi and said, 'Call the Shunammite woman.' So he called her.
When she came to him, he said, 'Take your son.' She came and fell at his feet, bowing
to the ground; then she took her son and left.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 16:1-15

HYMN
Words: Horatio G Spafford (1828-1888)

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows, like sea-billows, roll,
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
It is well, it is well with my soul, with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And has shed His own blood for my soul. Chorus

My sin - O the bliss of this glorious thought! -
My sin, not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to His cross, and I bear it no more:
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul! Chorus

For me be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live!
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul. Chorus

But, Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming, we wait;
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
O trump of the angel! O voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope! blessed rest of my soul! Chorus

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
we pray especially for your Church in the Diocese of
Rejaf, Sudan, The Rt Revd Michael Sokiri Lugor, Bishop.
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

Let no riches make me ever forget myself,
no poverty ever make me to forget thee:
let no hope or fear, no pleasure or pain,
no accident without, no weakness within,
hinder or discompose my duty, or turn me
from the ways of thy commandments.
O, let thy Spirit dwell with me for ever,
and make my soul just and charitable,
full of honesty, full of religion,
resolute and constant in holy purposes,
but inflexible to evil.
Make me humble and obedient, peaceable and pious;
let me never envy any man's goods,
nor deserve to be despised myself:
and if I be, teach me to bear it with meekness and charity. Amen.

Holy and loving God,
you dwell in the human heart
and make us partakers of the divine nature
in Christ our great high priest:
help us who remember your servant Jeremy Taylor
to put our trust in your heavenly promises
and follow a holy life in virtue and true godliness;

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 1995.

The first collect is by Jeremy Taylor.

Jeremy Taylor was born at Cambridge in 1613 and ordained in 1633. In the
years between 1633 and the ascendency of the Puritans in 1645, he was a
Fellow of two Cambridge colleges, and chaplain to Archbishop Laud and to
King Charles. Under Puritan rule, he was imprisoned three times, and forced
into retirement as a family chaplain in Wales. After the Restoration, in 1661, he
became Bishop of Down and Connor in Ireland. Among his many books on
theological, moral, and devotional subjects, the best known are The Rule and
Exercises of Holy Living (1650) and The Rule and Exercises of Holy Dying
(1651), usually cited simply as Holy Living and Holy Dying. Many readers,
including Charles Wesley a century later, have reported finding these books of
great spiritual benefit. Another work of his, Liberty of Prophesying, argues for
freedom of conscience and freedom of speech in a religious context. Being
stationed in an area that was largely Roman Catholic, he was, perhaps
inevitably, drawn into controversy, and he wrote a book called Dissuasion (or
Dissuasive) Against Popery. [James Kiefer]