OREMUS: 9 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 8 19:26:52 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, August 9, 2005
Mary Sumner, Founder of the Mothers' Union, 1921

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

READING [Genesis 41:53-54a,57-42:17]:

The seven years of plenty that prevailed in the land of
Egypt came to an end; and the seven years of famine began
to come, just as Joseph had said. There was famine in
every country, but throughout the land of Egypt there was
bread. Moreover, all the world came to Joseph in Egypt to
buy grain, because the famine became severe throughout
the world.
When Jacob learned that there was grain in Egypt, he said
to his sons, 'Why do you keep looking at one another? I
have heard', he said, 'that there is grain in Egypt; go
down and buy grain for us there, that we may live and not
die.' So ten of Joseph's brothers went down to buy grain
in Egypt. But Jacob did not send Joseph's brother
Benjamin with his brothers, for he feared that harm might
come to him. Thus the sons of Israel were among the other
people who came to buy grain, for the famine had reached
the land of Canaan.
Now Joseph was governor over the land; it was he who sold
to all the people of the land. And Joseph's brothers came
and bowed themselves before him with their faces to the
ground. When Joseph saw his brothers, he recognized them,
but he treated them like strangers and spoke harshly to
them. 'Where do you come from?' he said. They said, 'From
the land of Canaan, to buy food.' Although Joseph had
recognized his brothers, they did not recognize him.
Joseph also remembered the dreams that he had dreamed
about them. He said to them, 'You are spies; you have
come to see the nakedness of the land!' They said to him,
'No, my lord; your servants have come to buy food. We are
all sons of one man; we are honest men; your servants
have never been spies.' But he said to them, 'No, you
have come to see the nakedness of the land!' They said,
'We, your servants, are twelve brothers, the sons of a
certain man in the land of Canaan; the youngest, however,
is now with our father, and one is no more.' But Joseph
said to them, 'It is just as I have said to you; you are
spies! Here is how you shall be tested: as Pharaoh lives,
you shall not leave this place unless your youngest
brother comes here! Let one of you go and bring your
brother, while the rest of you remain in prison, in order
that your words may be tested, whether there is truth in
you; or else, as Pharaoh lives, surely you are spies.'
And he put them all together in prison for three days.

For another Biblical reading,
2 Timothy 2:1-13

HYMN
Words: Joachim Neander (1650-1680), 1680
trans. Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878), 1863;
Tune: Lobe den Herren
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p104.html

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise him, for he is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear,
now to his temple draw near;
praise him in glad adoration.

Praise to the Lord, who over all things so wondrously reigneth,
shelters thee under his wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!
Hast thou not seen
how thy desires ever have been
granted in what he ordaineth?

Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
surely his goodness and mercy here daily attend thee.
Ponder anew
what the Almighty can do,
if with his love he befriend thee.

Praise to the Lord, who, when tempests their warfare are waging,
who, when the elements madly around thee are raging,
biddeth them cease,
turneth their fury to peace,
Whirlwinds and waters assuaging.

Praise to the Lord, who, when darkness of sin is abounding,
who, when the godless do triumph, all virtue confounding,
sheddeth his light,
chaseth the horrors of night,
saints with his mercy surrounding.

Praise to the Lord, O let all that is in me adore him!
All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before him.
Let the amen
sound from his people again,
gladly for all we adore him.

We pray to God our Father, saying:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For all Christian people, knit together by your word of life;
especially in the Diocese of Quincy, USA,
The Rt Revd Keith Lynn Ackerman, Bishop,
and for all who teach and guard the faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who study and translate the Scriptures:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who are mocked and persecuted for their faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who long to know you, and your living Word:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those tempted to forsake your way;
for those whose hearts are hardened and unfeeling,
and for those who threaten war:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those bowed down with grief, fear or sickness, (especially. . .)
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

Giving thanks for those who have died in the faith of Christ,
we rejoice with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary and all your saints,
trusting in the promise of your word fulfilled.
Lord of the Church:
hear our prayer,
and make us one in heart and mind
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

Faithful God,
the shelter of all who hope in you,
may those who seek your face
be set free from fear and distress,
and come to see your goodness
in the land of the living;
through Jesus Christ, our Light and our Salvation. Amen.

Faithful and loving God,
who called Mary Sumner to strive
for the renewal of family life:
give us the gift of your Holy Spirit,
that through word, prayer and deed
your family may be strengthened and your people saved;

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 1995.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Mary Elizabeth Sumner (n e Heywood) was born in 1828 at Swinton. In 1848,
she married a young curate, George Henry Sumner, nephew of Archbishop
Sumner, who was himself to become Bishop of Guildford in 1888. A mother of
three children, Mary called a meeting in 1876 at which the Mothers' Union was
founded, providing a forum in which to unite mothers of all classes in the aim
of bringing up children in the Christian faith. Baptism and parental example
were its two basic principles. At first a parochial organisation, it grew steadily
into an international concern, encouraging the ideal of a Christian home. Mary
died on this day in 1921. [Exciting Holiness]