OREMUS: 8 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Aug 7 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, August 8, 2005
Dominic, Priest, Founder of the Order of Preachers, 1221

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

Happy are they who have not walked
   in the counsel of the wicked,*
 nor lingered in the way of sinners,
   nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
Their delight is in the law of the Lord,*
 and they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
   bearing fruit in due season,
   with leaves that do not wither;*
 everything they do shall prosper.
It is not so with the wicked:*
 they are like chaff which the wind blows away;
Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright
   when judgement comes,*
 nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,*
 but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Psalm 6

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Genesis 41:15-25,29-41]:

And Pharaoh said to Joseph, 'I have had a dream, and
there is no one who can interpret it. I have heard it
said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret
it.' Joseph answered Pharaoh, 'It is not I; God will give
Pharaoh a favourable answer.' Then Pharaoh said to
Joseph, 'In my dream I was standing on the banks of the
Nile; and seven cows, fat and sleek, came up out of the
Nile and fed in the reed grass. Then seven other cows
came up after them, poor, very ugly, and thin. Never had
I seen such ugly ones in all the land of Egypt. The thin
and ugly cows ate up the first seven fat cows, but when
they had eaten them no one would have known that they had
done so, for they were still as ugly as before. Then I
awoke. I fell asleep a second time and I saw in my dream
seven ears of grain, full and good, growing on one stalk,
and seven ears, withered, thin, and blighted by the east
wind, sprouting after them; and the thin ears swallowed
up the seven good ears. But when I told it to the
magicians, there was no one who could explain it to
me.'
Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, 'Pharaoh's dreams are one
and the same; God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is
about to do. There will come seven years of great plenty
throughout all the land of Egypt. After them there will
arise seven years of famine, and all the plenty will be
forgotten in the land of Egypt; the famine will consume
the land. The plenty will no longer be known in the land
because of the famine that will follow, for it will be
very grievous. And the doubling of Pharaoh's dream means
that the thing is fixed by God, and God will shortly
bring it about. Now therefore let Pharaoh select a man
who is discerning and wise, and set him over the land of
Egypt. Let Pharaoh proceed to appoint overseers over the
land, and take one-fifth of the produce of the land of
Egypt during the seven plenteous years. Let them gather
all the food of these good years that are coming, and lay
up grain under the authority of Pharaoh for food in the
cities, and let them keep it. That food shall be a
reserve for the land against the seven years of famine
that are to befall the land of Egypt, so that the land
may not perish through the famine.'
The proposal pleased Pharaoh and all his servants.
Pharaoh said to his servants, 'Can we find anyone else
like this one in whom is the spirit of God?' So Pharaoh
said to Joseph, 'Since God has shown you all this, there
is no one so discerning and wise as you. You shall be
over my house, and all my people shall order themselves
as you command; only with regard to the throne will I be
greater than you.' And Pharaoh said to Joseph, 'See, I
have set you over all the land of Egypt.'

For another Biblical reading,
2 Timothy 1:1-14

HYMN
Words: John Marriott, 1813
Tune: Moscow
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t640.html

Thou, whose almighty word
chaos and darkness heard,
and took their flight;
hear us, we humbly pray,
and, where the Gospel day
sheds not its glorious ray,
let there be light!

Thou who didst come to bring
on thy redeeming wing
healing and sight,
heal to the sick in mind,
sight to the in-ly blind,
now to all humankind,
let there be light!

Spirit of truth and love,
life-giving holy Dove,
speed forth thy flight!
Move on the waters' face
bearing the gifts of grace,
and, in earth's darkest place,
let there be light!

Holy and blessed Three,
glorious Trinity,
Wisdom, Love, Might;
boundless as ocean's tide,
rolling in fullest pride,
through the world far and wide,
let there be light!

you bring your chosen people together in one communion,
in the body of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
We rejoice in your light and your peace
for your whole Church in heaven and on earth.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Qu'Appelle, Canada,
The Rt Revd Duncan Douglas Wallace, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Quebec, Canada,
The Most Revd Alexander Bruce Stavert, Archbishop.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give to all who mourn a sure confidence in your loving care,
that we may cast all our sorrow on you,
and know the consolation of your love.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give your faithful people pardon and peace,
that we may be cleansed from all our sins,
and serve you with a quiet mind.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give us strength to meet the days ahead
in the joyful expectation of eternal life with those you love.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give to us who are still in our pilgrimage,
and who walk as yet by faith,
your Holy Spirit to lead us
in holiness and righteousness all our days.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

May all who have been made one with Christ
in his death and in his resurrection
die to sin and rise to newness of life.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

O Christ, our fountain of living water,
welling up to eternal life:
as by your obedience many were made righteous,
so may we delight in your commandments
and flourish in your way;
who live and reign, now and for ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose servant Dominic grew
in the knowledge of your truth
and formed an order of preachers
to proclaim the faith of Christ:
by your grace give to all your people
a love for your word
and a longing to share the gospel,
so that the whole world may come to know you
and your Son Jesus Christ our Lord,

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

The psalms, the first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 1995.

Dominic was born in Castile, in Spain, in 1170. He entered the priesthood, and
eventually became prior of the canons of the cathedral chapter (the clergy who
formed the staff of the cathedral and conducted the daily worship services) at
Osma (42:52 N 3:03 W). The turning point of his life came in 1206, when he
was chosen to accompany the bishop on a visit to southern France, to an area
held by the Albigenses. These were a heretical sect more or less directly
descended from the early Gnostics and Manichees. They were dualists, holding
that there are two gods, one the god of goodness, light, truth, and spirit, and
the other the god of evil, darkness, error, and matter. The material universe is
the creation of the bad god. The good god made the souls of men, and the bad
god kidnapped them and imprisoned them in bodies of flesh. On their first night
in Albigensian country, they stayed at an inn where the innkeeper was an
Albigensian. Dominic engaged him in conversation, they sat up all night
talking, and by dawn the man was ready to become an orthodox Christian.
>From then on, Dominic knew what his calling in life was. Dominic and his
bishop undertook to study the Albigensian beliefs and to engage in public
debates with their opponents. They seemed to be making some progress, but in
1207 the bishop died, and in the same year the murder by Albigenses of the
papal legate moved the pope to declare a crusade against the Albigenses, which
lasted about five years.
Dominic continued to preach and to debate where he could, and in 1215 he
founded an order of preachers, who were to live in poverty, and devote
themselves to studying philosophy and theology and to combatting false
doctrine by logical argument rather than by the use of force. He was convinced
that a major obstacle to the conversion of heretics was the material wealth of
some of the clergy, which made plausible the accusation that they were
concerned for their purses and not for the glory of God, and made workers
indisposed to hear them. He therefore determined that the brothers of his order
should live lives of poverty and simplicity, being no better off materially than
those they sought to convert. When he was in Rome, seeking authorization for
his order from the Pope, the Pope gave him a tour of the treasures of the
Vatican, and remarked complacently (referring to Acts 3:6), "Peter can no
longer say, 'Silver and gold have I none.'" Dominic turned and looked straight
at the Pope, and said, "No, and neither can he say, 'Rise and walk.'" He got the
permission he was seeking, and the order grew and flourished. Officially
known as the Order of Preachers (hence the letters O.P. after the name of a
member), it was informally known as the Dominicans, or the Blackfriars (from
the color of their cloaks). Two of their best-known members are Albertus
Magnus (Albert the Great, 1200-1280, see 15 Nov), who was famous for his
learning in numerous fields, and his pupil Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274, see 28
Jan), who wrote reconciling Christian theology with the philosophy of
Aristotle, which was then being rediscovered in western Europe, and was
thought by many to be a threat to Christianity. In later years, the Order forgot
its commitment to "logic and persuasion, not force" as the means of bringing
men to Christian truth, and many of its members were active in the Inquisition.
Dominic was three times offered a bishopric, and refused, believing that he
was called to another work. He died in 1220 in Bologna, Italy (44:30 N 11:20
E), after a preaching mission to Hungary. His emblem in art is a dog with a
torch in its mouth, a pun on his name (the Dominicans are sometimes called the
"Domini canes", the hounds of the Lord), and a reference to his relying on the
power of preaching.