OREMUS: 7 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 6 20:31:35 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, August 7, 2005
The Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost

on whom our faith rests secure
and whose kingdom we await.
You sustain us by Word and Sacrament
and keep us alert for the coming of the Son of Man,
that we may welcome him without delay.

You have been gracious to your land, O Lord,*
 you have restored the good fortune of Jacob.
You have forgiven the iniquity of your people*
 and blotted out all their sins.
You have withdrawn all your fury*
 and turned yourself from your wrathful indignation.
Restore us then, O God our Saviour;*
 let your anger depart from us.
Will you be displeased with us for ever?*
 will you prolong your anger from age to age?
Will you not give us life again,*
 that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your mercy, O Lord,*
 and grant us your salvation.
I will listen to what the Lord God is saying,*
 for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
   and to those who turn their hearts to him.
Truly, his salvation is very near to those who fear him,*
 that his glory may dwell in our land.
Mercy and truth have met together;*
 righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
Truth shall spring up from the earth,*
 and righteousness shall look down from heaven.
The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,*
 and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness shall go before him,*
 and peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

Bless the Lord (Song of the Three 29-34)
Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Genesis 39]:

Now Joseph was taken down to Egypt, and Potiphar, an
officer of Pharaoh, the captain of the guard, an
Egyptian, bought him from the Ishmaelites who had brought
him down there. The LORD was with Joseph, and he became a
successful man; he was in the house of his Egyptian
master. His master saw that the LORD was with him, and
that the LORD caused all that he did to prosper in his
hands. So Joseph found favour in his sight and attended
him; he made him overseer of his house and put him in
charge of all that he had. From the time that he made him
overseer in his house and over all that he had, the LORD
blessed the Egyptian's house for Joseph's sake; the
blessing of the LORD was on all that he had, in house and
field. So he left all that he had in Joseph's charge;
and, with him there, he had no concern for anything but
the food that he ate.
Now Joseph was handsome and good-looking. And after a
time his master's wife cast her eyes on Joseph and said,
'Lie with me.' But he refused and said to his master's
wife, 'Look, with me here, my master has no concern about
anything in the house, and he has put everything that he
has in my hand. He is not greater in this house than I
am, nor has he kept back anything from me except
yourself, because you are his wife. How then could I do
this great wickedness, and sin against God?' And although
she spoke to Joseph day after day, he would not consent
to lie beside her or to be with her. One day, however,
when he went into the house to do his work, and while no
one else was in the house, she caught hold of his
garment, saying, 'Lie with me!' But he left his garment
in her hand, and fled and ran outside. When she saw that
he had left his garment in her hand and had fled outside,
she called out to the members of her household and said
to them, 'See, my husband has brought among us a Hebrew
to insult us! He came in to me to lie with me, and I
cried out with a loud voice; and when he heard me raise
my voice and cry out, he left his garment beside me, and
fled outside.' Then she kept his garment by her until his
master came home, and she told him the same story,
saying, 'The Hebrew servant, whom you have brought among
us, came in to me to insult me; but as soon as I raised
my voice and cried out, he left his garment beside me,
and fled outside.'
When his master heard the words that his wife spoke to
him, saying, 'This is the way your servant treated me',
he became enraged. And Joseph's master took him and put
him into the prison, the place where the king's prisoners
were confined; he remained there in prison. But the LORD
was with Joseph and showed him steadfast love; he gave
him favour in the sight of the chief jailer. The chief
jailer committed to Joseph's care all the prisoners who
were in the prison, and whatever was done there, he was
the one who did it. The chief jailer paid no heed to
anything that was in Joseph's care, because the LORD was
with him; and whatever he did, the LORD made it prosper.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 11:7-16

HYMN
Words: Friedrich Rudolph Ludwig von Canitz (1654-1699);
trans. Henry J. Bucknoll, 1830
Tune: Richter
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c250.html

Come, my soul, thou must be waking;
now is breaking over the earth another day;
come to him who made this splendor;
see thou render all thy feeble powers can pay.

Thou, too, hail the light returning
ready burning be the incense of thy powers;
for the night is safely ended,
God hath tended with his care thy helpless hours.

Pray that he may prosper ever
each endeavor when thine aim is good and true;
but that he may ever thwart thee,
and convert thee, when thou evil wouldst pursue.

Think that he thy ways beholdeth;
he unfoldeth every fault that lurks within;
he the hidden shame glossed over
can discover, and discern each deed of sin.

Mayest thou on life's last morrow,
free from sorrow, pass away in slumber sweet:
and, released from death's dark sadness,
rise in gladness that far brighter Sun to greet.

Only God's free gifts abuse not,
light refuse not, but his Spirit's voice obey;
thou with him shalt dwell, beholding
light enfolding all things in unclouded day.

Let us pray for the whole people of God
and for all people according to their needs,
saying: "Hear our prayer."

For the whole church, that, true to its calling,
it may witness to the radical and boundless love of God
and proclaim God's love in word and deed.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the people of our church, for our bishops,
for all pastors and teachers, that strengthened by Word and Sacrament,
our witness in this land may be full of faith and love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the baptized, that we may embrace our lives
and the lives of others with courage and compassion,
unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May our care be a sign of God's care.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For those who govern the nations of the world,
that they may use their authority in wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for the human community.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression,
that you would rescue them when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear,
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all who suffer illness, distress or grief,
especially those we name silently or aloud ... ,
that you would grant them comfort, healing and release.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For the saints of every time and generation,
that you would keep us all in the bonds of love
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
O God, of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

O God of Love, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Almighty God,
you sent your Holy Spirit
to be the life and light of your Church:
Open our hearts to the riches of your grace,
that we may bring forth the fruit of the Spirit
in love, joy, and peace;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Draw us nearer to Jesus,
that, following his way of sacrificial love,
we may come to the banquet of eternal life.  Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Intercession Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
(Lift Up Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John Knox Press.