OREMUS: 4 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Aug 3 20:00:29 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, August 4, 2005

the giver of every gift that endures.
By the word of your Son,
you challenge our foolishness,
confront our greed,
and shape our lives
to the wisdom of the Gospel.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

Psalm 143

Lord, hear my prayer,
   and in your faithfulness heed my supplications;*
 answer me in your righteousness.
Enter not into judgement with your servant,*
 for in your sight shall no one living be justified.
For my enemy has sought my life
   and has crushed me to the ground;*
 making me live in dark places
   like those who are long dead.
My spirit faints within me;*
 my heart within me is desolate.
I remember the time past;
   I muse upon all your deeds;*
 I consider the works of your hands.
I spread out my hands to you;*
 my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.
O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me;*
 do not hide your face from me
   or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,
   for I put my trust in you;*
 show me the road that I must walk,
   for I lift up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord,*
 for I flee to you for refuge.
Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God;*
 let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Revive me, O Lord, for your name's sake;*
 for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Romans 9:27-33]:

And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel, 'Though the
number of the children of Israel were like the sand of
the sea, only a remnant of them will be saved; for the
Lord will execute his sentence on the earth quickly and
decisively.' And as Isaiah predicted,
'If the Lord of hosts had not left survivors to us,
   we would have fared like Sodom
   and been made like Gomorrah.'

What then are we to say? Gentiles, who did not strive for
righteousness, have attained it, that is, righteousness
through faith; but Israel, who did strive for the
righteousness that is based on the law, did not succeed
in fulfilling that law. Why not? Because they did not
strive for it on the basis of faith, but as if it were
based on works. They have stumbled over the
stumbling-stone, as it is written,
'See, I am laying in Zion a stone that will make people
stumble, a rock that will make them fall,
   and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.'

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiastes 9:1-10

HYMN
Words: H.C. Shuttleworth (1850-1900)
Tune: Exeter
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f094.html

Father of men, in whom are one
all humankind beneath thy sun,
'stablish our work in thee begun.
Except the house be built of thee,
vain the builder's toil must be:
O strengthen our infirmity!

Man lives not for himself alone,
in others' good he finds his own,
life's worth in fellowship is known.
We, friends and comrades on life's way,
gather within these walls to pray:
bless thou our fellowship to-day.

0 Christ, our Elder Brother, who
by serving man God's will didst do,
help us to serve our brethren too.
Guide us to seek the things above,
the base to shun, the pure approve,
to live by thy free law of love.

In all our work, in all our play,
be with us, Lord, our Friend, our Stay;
lead onward to the perfect day:
then may we know, earth's lesson e'er,
with comrades missed or gone before,
heaven's fellowship for evermore.

Most holy and gracious God,
we praise you for the glorious freedom
we have together in Christ Jesus.

You have called us to be brothers and sisters
in the covenant of your Church.
Hear our desire to live in covenant relationships
of binding and loosing,
so that we may truly be your faithful people.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Enlarge our understandings of how we can work together
to raise up your Church and your mission
in this technological age.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayer especially for the Diocese of
Pretoria, South Africa, The Rt Revd Dr Johannes T Seoka, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Mpumalanga, South Africa, The Rt Revd Les Walker, Bishop.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Forgive us for not being sensitive to one another
and for preferring to be loners instead of joining in our common cause.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

As you have forgiven us, may we forgive one another.
May our love flow like an everlasting river,
making our baptismal covenant a daily reality.
Gracious God,
hear our prayer.

Lord our God, supreme over all things,
we ask you to look upon the humble and lowly,
to put new strength into our souls
and to complete your purpose for us,
in Christ Jesus our Lord. Amen.

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Emma
Richards, Villa Park, Illinois as adapted in _Words for Worship_;
used by permission of Herald Press.