OREMUS: 2 August 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Aug 1 20:39:05 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, August 2, 2005

the giver of every gift that endures.
By the word of your Son,
you challenge our foolishness,
confront our greed,
and shape our lives
to the wisdom of the Gospel.

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

READING [Romans 9:14-18]:

What then are we to say? Is there injustice on God's
part? By no means! For he says to Moses, 'I will have
mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on
whom I have compassion.' So it depends not on human will
or exertion, but on God who shows mercy. For the
scripture says to Pharaoh, 'I have raised you up for the
very purpose of showing my power in you, so that my name
may be proclaimed in all the earth.' So then he has mercy
on whomsoever he chooses, and he hardens the heart of
whomsoever he chooses.

For another Biblical reading,
Ecclesiastes 7:15-19

HYMN
Words:  John Newton, 1779
Tune: Sardis, Sharon, St. Mabyn, Petersen, Halton Holgate, Waltham
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m050.html

May the grace of Christ our Savior
and the Father's boundless love
with the Holy Spirit's favor,
rest upon us from above.

Thus may we abide in union
with each other and the Lord,
and possess, in sweet communion,
joys which earth cannot afford.

O God our Salvation, you are near to all who call:
hear and answer our prayers.

You are a refuge for the oppressed;
be our stronghold in troubled times.

You stand at the right hand of the needy;
rescue all who are wrongfully condemned.

You raise the poor from the dust;
restore dignity to those who seek refuge.

You give food to the hungry;
uphold the cause of the destitute.

You watch over those who wander and sustain the widow;
provide protection in the face of danger.

You heal the brokenhearted;
bind up the wounds of all who suffer.

You call us to be your Church, especially in the Diocese of
Port Sudan, The Rt Revd Yousif Abdalla Kuku, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Yei, Sudan, The Rt Revd Hilary Luate Adeba, Bishop.
send us out to do your will in the world.

You are a mighty God who loves justice;
establish your equity for all people.

Praise be to you, O Lord;
you hear and answer our prayers.

Gracious Creator of heaven and earth,
your Word has come among us
as the true Sun of Righteousness,
and the Good News of his birth
has gone out to the ends of the world:
Open our eyes to the light of your law,
that we may be freed from sin
and serve you without reproach
for the sake of Jesus Christ, our Light and our Life. Amen.

Quench our thirst with your gift of belief,
that we may no longer work for food that perishes,
but believe in the One whom you have sent. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Karen
Moshier Shenk and Rebecca J. Slough, in _MPH Bulletin_,
10/13/85, as adapted in _Words for Worship_; used by permission
of Herald Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com