OREMUS: 30 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Apr 29 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, April 30, 2005

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Psalm 36:5-10 [CCP]

Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens,*
 and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
   your justice like the great deep;*
 you save both human and beast, O Lord.
How priceless is your love, O God!*
 your people take refuge under the shadow of your wings.
They feast upon the abundance of your house;*
 you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the well of life,*
 and in your light we see light.
Continue your loving-kindness to those who know you,*
 and your favour to those who are true of heart.

Psalm 87

On the holy mountain stands the city he has founded;*
 the Lord loves the gates of Zion
   more than all the dwellings of Jacob.
Glorious things are spoken of you,*
 O city of our God.
I count Egypt and Babylon among those who know me;*
 behold Philistia, Tyre and Ethiopia:
   in Zion were they born.
Of Zion it shall be said, 'Everyone was born in her,*
 and the Most High himself shall sustain her.'
The Lord will record as he enrols the peoples,*
 'These also were born there.'
The singers and the dancers will say,*
 'All my fresh springs are in you.'

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Zechariah 8:1-13]:

The word of the LORD of hosts came to me, saying: Thus
says the LORD of hosts: I am jealous for Zion with great
jealousy, and I am jealous for her with great wrath. Thus
says the LORD: I will return to Zion, and will dwell in
the midst of Jerusalem; Jerusalem shall be called the
faithful city, and the mountain of the LORD of hosts
shall be called the holy mountain. Thus says the LORD of
hosts: Old men and old women shall again sit in the
streets of Jerusalem, each with staff in hand because of
their great age. And the streets of the city shall be
full of boys and girls playing in its streets. Thus says
the LORD of hosts: Even though it seems impossible to the
remnant of this people in these days, should it also seem
impossible to me, says the LORD of hosts? Thus says the
LORD of hosts: I will save my people from the east
country and from the west country; and I will bring them
to live in Jerusalem. They shall be my people and I will
be their God, in faithfulness and in righteousness.
Thus says the LORD of hosts: Let your hands be strong you
that have recently been hearing these words from the
mouths of the prophets who were present when the
foundation was laid for the rebuilding of the temple, the
house of the LORD of hosts. For before those days there
were no wages for people or for animals, nor was there
any safety from the foe for those who went out or came
in, and I set them all against one another. But now I
will not deal with the remnant of this people as in the
former days, says the LORD of hosts. For there shall be a
sowing of peace; the vine shall yield its fruit, the
ground shall give its produce, and the skies shall give
their dew; and I will cause the remnant of this people to
possess all these things. Just as you have been a cursing
among the nations, O house of Judah and house of Israel,
so I will save you and you shall be a blessing. Do not be
afraid, but let your hands be strong.

For another Biblical reading,
Revelation 21:22-22:5

HYMN
Words: John Newton, 1779
Tune: Austria, Abbot's Leigh
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g051.html

Glorious things of thee are spoken,
Zion, city of our God;
he whose word cannot be broken
formed thee for his own abode;
on the Rock of Ages founded,
what can shake thy sure repose?
With salvation's walls surrounded,
thou may'st smile at all thy foes.

See! the streams of living waters,
spring form eternal love,
well supply thy sons and daughters
and all fear of want remove.
Who can faint, when such a river
ever flows their thirst to assuage?
Grace which, like the Lord, the Giver,
never fails from age to age.

Round each habitation hovering,
see the cloud and fire appear
for a glory and a covering,
showing that the Lord is near.
Thus they march, their pillar leading,
light by night, and shade by day;
daily on the manna feeding
which he gives them when they pray.

Blest inhabitants of Zion,
washed in the Redeemer's blood!
Jesus, whom their souls rely on,
makes them kings and priests to God.
'Tis his love his people raises
over self to reign as kings:
and as priests, his solemn praises
each for a thank-offering brings.

Savior, if of Zion's city,
I through grace a member am,
let the world deride or pity,
I will glory in thy Name.
Fading is the worldling's pleasure,
all his boasted pomp and show;
solid joys and lasting treasure
none but Zion's children know.

Jesus, Light of the world,
bring the light and peace of your Gospel
to the nations.
We pray for the Diocese of Natal, South Africa,
The Rt Revd Rubin Phillip, Bishop.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Bread of life,
give food to the hungry
and nourish us all with your Word.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, our Way, our Truth, our Life,
be with us and all who follow in the way.
Deepen our appreciation of your truth
and fill us with your life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Good Shepherd,
who gave your life for the sheep,
recover the straggler,
bind up the injured,
strengthen the sick
and lead the healthy and strong to new pastures.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life,
we give you thanks for all who have lived and believed in you.
Raise us with them to eternal life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

God of justice and mercy,
open the eyes of sinners
that they may see the light of your truth,
know the power of your love,
and share in the bounty of your heavenly table;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in