OREMUS: 29 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 28 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, April 29, 2005
Catherine of Siena, Mystic, Teacher, 1380

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

 and his mercy endures for ever.
Let all those whom the Lord has redeemed proclaim*
 that he redeemed them from the hand of the foe.
He gathered them out of the lands;*
 from the east and from the west,
   from the north and from the south.
Some wandered in desert wastes;*
 they found no way to a city where they might dwell.
They were hungry and thirsty;*
 their spirits languished within them.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He put their feet on a straight path*
 to go to a city where they might dwell.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he satisfies the thirsty*
 and fills the hungry with good things.
Some sat in darkness and deep gloom,*
 bound fast in misery and iron;
Because they rebelled against the words of God*
 and despised the counsel of the Most High.
So he humbled their spirits with hard labour;*
 they stumbled and there was none to help.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He led them out of darkness and deep gloom*
 and broke their bonds asunder.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
For he shatters the doors of bronze*
 and breaks in two the iron bars.
Some were fools and took to rebellious ways;*
 they were afflicted because of their sins.
They abhorred all manner of food*
 and drew near to death's door.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He sent forth his word and healed them*
 and saved them from the grave.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and tell of his acts with shouts of joy.
Some went down to the sea in ships*
 and plied their trade in deep waters;
They beheld the works of the Lord*
 and his wonders in the deep.
Then he spoke and a stormy wind arose,*
 which tossed high the waves of the sea.
They mounted up to the heavens
   and fell back to the depths;*
 their hearts melted because of their peril.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards*
 and were at their wits' end.
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,*
 and he delivered them from their distress.
He stilled the storm to a whisper*
 and quieted the waves of the sea.
Then were they glad because of the calm,*
 and he brought them
   to the harbour they were bound for.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his mercy*
 and the wonders he does for his children.
Let them exalt him in the congregation of the people*
 and praise him in the council of the elders.
The Lord changed rivers into deserts,*
 and water-springs into thirsty ground,
A fruitful land into salt flats,*
 because of the wickedness of those who dwell there.
He changed deserts into pools of water*
 and dry land into water-springs.
He settled the hungry there,*
 and they founded a city to dwell in.
They sowed fields and planted vineyards,*
 and brought in a fruitful harvest.
He blessed them, so that they increased greatly;*
 he did not let their herds decrease.
Yet when they were diminished and brought low,*
 through stress of adversity and sorrow,
He lifted up the poor out of misery*
 and multiplied their families like flocks of sheep.
He pours contempt on princes*
 and makes them wander in trackless wastes.
The upright will see this and rejoice,*
 but all wickedness will shut its mouth.
Whoever is wise will ponder these things,*
 and consider well the mercies of the Lord.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

READING [Zechariah 7:8-14]:

The word of the LORD came to Zechariah, saying: Thus says
the LORD of hosts: Render true judgements, show kindness
and mercy to one another; do not oppress the widow, the
orphan, the alien, or the poor; and do not devise evil in
your hearts against one another. But they refused to
listen, and turned a stubborn shoulder, and stopped their
ears in order not to hear. They made their hearts adamant
in order not to hear the law and the words that the LORD
of hosts had sent by his spirit through the former
prophets. Therefore great wrath came from the LORD of
hosts. Just as, when I called, they would not hear, so,
when they called, I would not hear, says the LORD of
hosts, and I scattered them with a whirlwind among all
the nations that they had not known. Thus the land they
left was desolate, so that no one went to and fro, and a
pleasant land was made desolate.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 17:1-21

HYMN
Words: Christopher Wordsworth (1807-1885), 1862
Tune: Lux eoi
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a204.html

Alleluia, alleluia!
Hearts to heaven and voices raise:
sing to God a hymn of gladness,
sing to God a hymn of praise.
He, who on the cross a victim,
for the world's salvation bled,
Jesus Christ, the King of glory,
now is risen from the dead.

Now the iron bars are broken,
Christ from death to life is born,
glorious life, and life immortal,
on this holy Easter morn.
Christ has triumphed, and we conquer
by his mighty enterprise:
we with him to life eternal
by his resurrection rise.

Christ is risen, Christ, the first fruits
of the holy harvest field,
which will all its full abundance
at his second coming yield:
then the golden ears of harvest
will their heads before him wave,
ripened by his glorious sunshine
from the furrows of the grave.

Christ is risen, we are risen!
Shed upon us heavenly grace,
rain and dew and gleams of glory
from the brightness of thy face;
that we, with our hearts in heaven,
here on earth may fruitful be,
and by angel hands be gathered,
and be ever, Lord, with thee.

Alleluia, alleluia!
Glory be to God on high;
Alleluia! to the Savior
who has gained the victory;
Alleluia! to the Spirit,
fount of love and sanctity:
Alleluia, alleluia!
to the Triune Majesty.

In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Church in the Diocese of Nassau & The Bahamas
& The Turks & Caicos Islands
The Most Revd Drexel Wellington Gomez, Archbishop;
the Diocese of New Providence,
The Rt Revd Gilbert Arthur Thompson, Bishop;
and the Diocese of the Windward Islands,
The Rt Revd Sehon Sylvester Goodridge, Bishop.
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God's power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

O God, your steadfast love endures for ever
and your faithfulness from one generation to another;
rescue your people from their distress,
still the storms of our self-will
and bring us to the haven you have prepared for us
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in