OREMUS: 28 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 27 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, April 28, 2005

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the God of gods,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who only does great wonders,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who by his wisdom made the heavens,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who spread out the earth upon the waters,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who created great lights,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The sun to rule the day,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The moon and the stars to govern the night,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down the first-born of Egypt,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And brought out Israel from among them,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
With a mighty hand and a stretched-out arm,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who divided the Red Sea in two,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And made Israel to pass through the midst of it,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
But swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who led his people through the wilderness,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down great kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And slew mighty kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Sihon, king of the Amorites,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And Og, the king of Bashan,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And gave away their lands for an inheritance,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
An inheritance for Israel his servant,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who remembered us in our low estate,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And delivered us from our enemies,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who gives food to all creatures,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Give thanks to the God of heaven,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Zechariah 7:1-7]:

In the fourth year of King Darius, the word of the LORD
came to Zechariah on the fourth day of the ninth month,
which is Chislev. Now the people of Bethel had sent
Sharezer and Regem-melech and their men, to entreat the
favour of the LORD, and to ask the priests of the house
of the LORD of hosts and the prophets, 'Should I mourn
and practise abstinence in the fifth month, as I have
done for so many years?' Then the word of the LORD of
hosts came to me: Say to all the people of the land and
the priests: When you fasted and lamented in the fifth
month and in the seventh, for these seventy years, was it
for me that you fasted? And when you eat and when you
drink, do you not eat and drink only for yourselves? Were
not these the words that the LORD proclaimed by the
former prophets, when Jerusalem was inhabited and in
prosperity, along with the towns around it, and when the
Negeb and the Shephelah were inhabited?

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 16:16-40

HYMN
Words: Congregational Church Hymnal, 1887
Tune: Melcombe
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b063.html

Behold the eternal King and Priest
brings forth for me the bread and wine;
himself the Master of the feast,
his flesh and blood the food divine!

Jesus, I come, for thou dost call,
I eat and drink at thy command;
low at thy feet I humbly fall,
O touch me with thy piercŠd hand.

Wash throughly clean this heart of mine,
that it may beat for thee alone;
O let it lose its life in thine,
and have no will except thine own!

In weariness be thou my rest,
in loneliness be thou my friend,
in sorrow hold me to thy breast,
and keep me, Jesus, to the end.

O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

By your resurrection you give new life to your people, the Church.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Nandyal, India,
The Rt Revd Dr Abraham Theodore Gondi, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Nasik, India, The Rt Revd Kamble Lemuel Pradip, Bishop.
Send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Almighty Father,
whose Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, is the light of the world:
Set us on fire with the Spirit of power,
that, in everything we think and say and do,
we may proclaim the wonder of Christ's resurrection.
He lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The collect is from _Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in
Australia.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in