OREMUS: 27 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Apr 26 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Zechariah 6:1-15]:

And again I looked up and saw four chariots coming out
from between two mountains mountains of bronze. The first
chariot had red horses, the second chariot black horses,
the third chariot white horses, and the fourth chariot
dappled grey horses. Then I said to the angel who talked
with me, 'What are these, my lord?' The angel answered
me, 'These are the four winds of heaven going out, after
presenting themselves before the LORD of all the earth.
The chariot with the black horses goes towards the north
country, the white ones go towards the west country, and
the dappled ones go towards the south country.' When the
steeds came out, they were impatient to get off and
patrol the earth. And he said, 'Go, patrol the earth.' So
they patrolled the earth. Then he cried out to me, 'Lo,
those who go towards the north country have set my spirit
at rest in the north country.'
The word of the LORD came to me: Collect silver and gold
from the exiles from Heldai, Tobijah, and Jedaiah who
have arrived from Babylon; and go the same day to the
house of Josiah son of Zephaniah. Take the silver and
gold and make a crown, and set it on the head of the high
priest Joshua son of Jehozadak; say to him: Thus says the
LORD of hosts: Here is a man whose name is Branch: for he
shall branch out in his place, and he shall build the
temple of the LORD. It is he that shall build the temple
of the LORD; he shall bear royal honour, and shall sit
and rule on his throne. There shall be a priest by his
throne, with peaceful understanding between the two of
them. And the crown shall be in the care of Heldai,
Tobijah, Jedaiah, and Josiah son of Zephaniah, as a
memorial in the temple of the LORD.
Those who are far off shall come and help to build the
temple of the LORD; and you shall know that the LORD of
hosts has sent me to you. This will happen if you
diligently obey the voice of the LORD your God.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 16:1-15

HYMN
Words: Horatio Bonar, 1846
Tune: Kingsfold, Vox Dilecti, The Third Tune
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i066.html

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Come unto me and rest;
lay down, thou weary one, lay down
thy head upon my breast."
I came to Jesus as I was,
so weary, worn, and sad;
I found in him a resting place,
and he has made me glad.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"Behold, I freely give
the living water; thirsty one,
stoop down and drink, and live."
I came to Jesus, and I drank
of that life-giving stream;
my thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
and now I live in him.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
"I am this dark world's light;
look unto me, thy morn shall rise,
and all thy day be bright."
I looked to Jesus, and I found
in him my Star, my Sun;
and in that light of life I'll walk
till traveling days are done.

To Christ, the Lamb who was slain,
and who now lives in the glory of the Father,
let us raise the voice of praise, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you are the Amen, the faithful witness,
the first of God's creation:
Lord, have mercy

You are Alpha and Omega,
the one who is, and was, and who is to come:
Lord, have mercy

You search into the thoughts and affections
of all people:
Lord, have mercy

You reprove and chasten
those whom you love:
Lord, have mercy

You open the eyes of the blind
and set the prisoners free:
Lord, have mercy

In your paschal victory,
you have proclaimed the coming of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Namirembe, Uganda, The Rt Revd Samuel Balagadde Ssekkadde, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy

O God,
form the minds of your faithful people into a single will.
Make us love what you command and desire what you promise,
that, amid all the changes of this world,
our hearts may be fixed where true joy is found;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The psalms, intercession and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in