OREMUS: 26 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Apr 25 19:06:49 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Give thanks to the Lord and call upon his name;*
 make known his deeds among the peoples.
Sing to him, sing praises to him,*
 and speak of all his marvellous works.
Glory in his holy name;*
 let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
Search for the Lord and his strength;*
 continually seek his face.
Remember the marvels he has done,*
 his wonders and the judgements of his mouth,
O offspring of Abraham his servant,*
 O children of Jacob his chosen.
He is the Lord our God;*
 his judgements prevail in all the world.
He has always been mindful of his covenant,*
 the promise he made for a thousand generations:
The covenant he made with Abraham,*
 the oath that he swore to Isaac,
Which he established as a statute for Jacob,*
 an everlasting covenant for Israel,
Saying, 'To you will I give the land of Canaan*
 to be your allotted inheritance.'
When they were few in number,*
 of little account and sojourners in the land,
Wandering from nation to nation*
 and from one kingdom to another,
He let no one oppress them*
 and rebuked kings for their sake,
Saying, 'Do not touch my anointed*
 and do my prophets no harm.'
Then he called for a famine in the land*
 and destroyed the supply of bread.
He sent a man before them,*
 Joseph, who was sold as a slave.
They bruised his feet in fetters;*
 his neck they put in an iron collar.
Until his prediction came to pass,*
 the word of the Lord tested him.
The king sent and released him;*
 the ruler of the peoples set him free.
He set him as master over his household,*
 as a ruler over all his possessions,
To instruct his princes according to his will*
 and to teach his elders wisdom.
Israel came into Egypt,*
 and Jacob became a sojourner in the land of Ham.
The Lord made his people exceedingly fruitful;*
 he made them stronger than their enemies;
Whose heart he turned, so that they hated his people,*
 and dealt unjustly with his servants.
He sent Moses his servant,*
 and Aaron whom he had chosen.
They worked his signs among them,*
 and portents in the land of Ham.
He sent darkness and it grew dark;*
 but the Egyptians rebelled against his words.
He turned their waters into blood*
 and caused their fish to die.
Their land was overrun by frogs,*
 in the very chambers of their kings.
He spoke and there came swarms of insects*
 and gnats within all their borders.
He gave them hailstones instead of rain,*
 and flames of fire throughout their land.
He blasted their vines and their fig trees*
 and shattered every tree in their country.
He spoke and the locust came,*
 and young locusts without number,
Which ate up all the green plants in their land*
 and devoured the fruit of their soil.
He struck down the first-born of their land,*
 the first-fruits of all their strength.
He led out his people with silver and gold;*
 in all their tribes there was not one that stumbled.
Egypt was glad of their going,*
 because they were afraid of them.
He spread out a cloud for a covering*
 and a fire to give light in the night season.
They asked and quails appeared,*
 and he satisfied them with bread from heaven.
He opened the rock and water flowed,*
 so the river ran in the dry places.
For God remembered his holy word*
 and Abraham his servant.
So he led forth his people with gladness,*
 his chosen with shouts of joy.
He gave his people the lands of the nations,*
 and they took the fruit of others' toil,
That they might keep his statutes*
 and observe his laws.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

READING [Zechariah 5]:

Again I looked up and saw a flying scroll. And he said to
me, 'What do you see?' I answered, 'I see a flying
scroll; its length is twenty cubits, and its width ten
cubits.' Then he said to me, 'This is the curse that goes
out over the face of the whole land; for everyone who
steals shall be cut off according to the writing on one
side, and everyone who swears falsely shall be cut off
according to the writing on the other side. I have sent
it out, says the LORD of hosts, and it shall enter the
house of the thief, and the house of anyone who swears
falsely by my name; and it shall abide in that house and
consume it, both timber and stones.'
Then the angel who talked with me came forward and said
to me, 'Look up and see what this is that is coming out.'
Id, 'What is it?' He said, 'This is a basket coming out.'
And he said, 'This is their iniquity in all the land.'
Then a leaden cover was lifted, and there was a woman
sitting in the basket! And he said, 'This is Wickedness.'
So he thrust her back into the basket, and pressed the
leaden weight down on its mouth. Then I looked up and saw
two women coming forward. The wind was in their wings;
they had wings like the wings of a stork, and they lifted
up the basket between earth and sky. Then I said to the
angel who talked with me, 'Where are they taking the
basket?' He said to me, 'To the land of Shinar, to build
a house for it; and when this is prepared, they will set
the basket down there on its base.'

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 15:22-35

HYMN
Words: Sheffield Psalms and Hymns, 1802,
William Bengo Collyer, 1802, 1812 and Thomas Cotterill, 1819
Tune: Nun freut euch
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g373.html

Great God, what do I see and hear?
The end of things created!
The Judge of all men doth appear,
on clouds of glory seated.
The trumpet sounds, the graves restore,
the dead which they contained before!
Prepare, my soul, to meet him.

The dead in Christ shall first arise
at that last trumpet's sounding.
caught up to meet him in the skies,
with joy their Lord surrounding.
No gloomy fears their souls dismay,
his presence sheds eternal day
on those prepared to meet him.

The ungodly, filled with guilty fears,
behold his wrath prevailing.
In woe they rise, but all their tears
and sighs are unavailing.
The day of grace is past and gone;
trembling they stand before his throne,
all unprepared to meet him.

Great God, to thee my spirit clings,
thy boundless love declaring.
One wondrous sight my comfort brings,
the Judge my nature wearing.
Beneath his cross I view the day
when heaven and earth shall pass away,
and thus prepare to meet him.

Another version of the final verse reads:

Great God, what do I see and hear:
the end of things created!
the Judge of all men doth appear,
on clouds of glory seated:
low at his cross I view the day
when heaven and earth shall pass away,
and thus prepare to meet him.

On this day that the Lord has made, let us give God the glory
and pray for the people he has redeemed.

That we may live as those who believe
in the triumph of the cross:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

For your Church, we pray, O Lord, especially
the Diocese of Nambale, Kenya, The Rt Revd Josiah Makhandia Were, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Namibia, The Rt Revd Shihala Nehemiah Hamupembe, Bishop.

That all people may receive the good news of his victory:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those born to new life in the waters of baptism
may know the power of his resurrection:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those who suffer pain and anguish may find healing and peace
in the wounds of Christ:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That in the undying love of Christ,
we may have union with all who have died:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

Let us join our voices with the saints in proclaiming
that Christ has given us the victory:

Merciful God,
you brought your people out of slavery
and led them to freedom in the promised land;
feed us on our journey with the bread of heaven
that we may hunger and thirst for righteousness
until your kingdom comes;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The psalms, intercession and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in