OREMUS: 24 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Apr 23 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, April 24, 2005
The Fifth Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

Alleluia!  Praise the name of the Lord;*
 give praise, you servants of the Lord,
You who stand in the house of the Lord,*
 in the courts of the house of our God.
Praise the Lord, for the Lord is good;*
 sing praises to his name, for it is lovely.
For the Lord has chosen Jacob for himself*
 and Israel for his own possession.
For I know that the Lord is great,*
 and that our Lord is above all gods.
The Lord does whatever pleases him,
   in heaven and on earth,*
 in the seas and all the deeps.
He brings up rain clouds from the ends of the earth;*
 he sends out lightning with the rain,
   and brings the winds out of his storehouse.
It was he who struck down the first-born of Egypt,*
 the first-born both of human and beast.
He sent signs and wonders
   into the midst of you, O Egypt,*
 against Pharaoh and all his servants.
He overthrew many nations*
 and put mighty kings to death:
Sihon, king of the Amorites,
   and Og, the king of Bashan,*
 and all the kingdoms of Canaan.
He gave their land to be an inheritance,*
 an inheritance for Israel his people.
O Lord, your name is everlasting;*
 your renown, O Lord, endures from age to age.
For the Lord gives his people justice*
 and shows compassion to his servants.
The idols of the heathen are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see.
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 neither is there any breath in their mouth.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
Bless the Lord, O house of Israel;*
 O house of Aaron, bless the Lord.
Bless the Lord, O house of Levi;*
 you who fear the Lord, bless the Lord.
Blessed be the Lord out of Zion,*
 who dwells in Jerusalem. Alleluia!

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Revelation 10]:

And I saw another mighty angel coming down from heaven,
wrapped in a cloud, with a rainbow over his head; his
face was like the sun, and his legs like pillars of fire.
He held a little scroll open in his hand. Setting his
right foot on the sea and his left foot on the land, he
gave a great shout, like a lion roaring. And when he
shouted, the seven thunders sounded. And when the seven
thunders had sounded, I was about to write, but I heard a
voice from heaven saying, 'Seal up what the seven
thunders have said, and do not write it down.' Then the
angel whom I saw standing on the sea and the land raised
his right hand to heaven and swore by him who lives for
ever and ever, who created heaven and what is in it, the
earth and what is in it, and the sea and what is in it:
'There will be no more delay, but in the days when the
seventh angel is to blow his trumpet, the mystery of God
will be fulfilled, as he announced to his servants the
prophets.'
Then the voice that I had heard from heaven spoke to me
again, saying, 'Go, take the scroll that is open in the
hand of the angel who is standing on the sea and on the
land.' So I went to the angel and told him to give me the
little scroll; and he said to me, 'Take it, and eat; it
will be bitter to your stomach, but sweet as honey in
your mouth.' So I took the little scroll from the hand of
the angel and ate it; it was sweet as honey in my mouth,
but when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter.
Then they said to me, 'You must prophesy again about many
peoples and nations and languages and kings.'

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 8:1b-13

HYMN
Words: Thomas Kelly (1769-1855), 1809
Tune: Unser Herrscher, Regent Square, St. Audrey, Triumph
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l225.html

Look, ye saints! the sight is glorious:
see the Man of Sorrows now;
from the fight returned victorious,
every knee to him shall bow;
crown him, crown him,
crown him, crown him,
crowns become the Victor's brow.

Crown the Savior! angels, crown him;
rich the trophies Jesus brings;
in the seat of power enthrone him,
while the vault of heaven rings;
crown him, crown him,
crown him, crown him,
crown the Savior King of kings.

Sinners in derision scorned him,
mocking thus the Savior's claim;
saints and angels crowd around him,
own his title, praise his name;
crown him, crown him,
crown him, crown him,
spread abroad the Victor's fame.

Hark, those bursts of acclamation!
hark, those loud triumphant chords!
Jesus takes the highest station;
O what joy the sight affords!
crown him, crown him,
crown him, crown him,
King of kings and Lord of lords!

Jesus, bread from heaven,
you satisfy the hungry with good things:
Grant us a share with all the faithful departed,
in the banquet of your kingdom.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, the light of the world,
you gave the man born blind the gift of sight:
Open the eye of faith
and bring us from darkness
to your eternal light and glory.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, Son of the living God,
you summoned your friend Lazarus from death to life:
Raise us at the last to full and eternal life with you.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, crucified Savior,
in your dying you entrusted
Mary your Mother and John your Beloved to each other:
Sustain and comfort all who mourn.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, our Way and Truth and Life,
you drew your disciple Thomas from doubt to faith:
Reveal the resurrection faith to the doubting and the lost:
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

May God in his infinite mercy
bring the whole Church,
living and departed in the Lord Jesus,
to a joyful resurrection
and the fulfillment of his eternal kingdom. Amen.

Almighty God,
whom truly to know is everlasting life:
Grant us so perfectly to know your Son Jesus Christ
to be the way, the truth, and the life,
that we may steadfastly follow his steps
in the way that leads to eternal life;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.  Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen T. Benner, 2001, and is
based on phrases from a Syrian Clementine liturgy, found in _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in