OREMUS: 22 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 21 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, April 22, 2005

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

READING [Zechariah 3:1-10]:

Then he showed me the high priest Joshua standing before
the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right
hand to accuse him. And the LORD said to Satan, 'The LORD
rebuke you, O Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem
rebuke you! Is not this man a brand plucked from the
fire?' Now Joshua was dressed in filthy clothes as he
stood before the angel. The angel said to those who were
standing before him, 'Take off his filthy clothes.' And
to him he said, 'See, I have taken your guilt away from
you, and I will clothe you in festal apparel.' And I
said, 'Let them put a clean turban on his head.' So they
put a clean turban on his head and clothed him in the
apparel; and the angel of the LORD was standing by.
Then the angel of the LORD assured Joshua, saying 'Thus
says the LORD of hosts: If you will walk in my ways and
keep my requirements, then you shall rule my house and
have charge of my courts, and I will give you the right
of access among those who are standing here. Now listen,
Joshua, high priest, you and your colleagues who sit
before you! For they are an omen of things to come: I am
going to bring my servant the Branch. For on the stone
that I have set before Joshua, on a single stone with
seven facets, I will engrave its inscription, says the
LORD of hosts, and I will remove the guilt of this land
in a single day. On that day, says the LORD of hosts, you
shall invite each other to come under your vine and fig
tree.'

For another Biblical reading,
Revelation 9:13-21

HYMN
Words: Henry Arthur Martin, 1871
Tune: Commandments
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o536.html

O Rock of ages, one Foundation,
on which the living Church doth rest,
the Church whose walls are strong salvation,
whose gates are praise: thy Name be blest.

Son of the living God, O call us
once and again to follow thee;
and give us strength, whate'er befall us,
thy true disciples still to be.

When fears appall and faith is failing,
make thy voice heard o'er wind and wave;
and in thy perfect love prevailing
put forth thy hand to help and save.

And if our coward hearts deny thee
in inmost thought, in deed or word,
let not our hardness still defy thee,
but with a look subdue us, Lord.

O strengthen thou our weak endeavor
thee in thy sheep to serve and tend,
to give ourselves to thee for ever,
and find thee with us to the end.

In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Church in the Diocese of
Nairobi, Kenya, The Rt Revd Peter Njoka, Bishop.
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God's power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

God our Father,
glorious in giving and restoring life,
do not hide your face from your people
overcome with loneliness and fear;
turn our mourning into dancing
and raise us up with your Son,
that we may rejoice in your presence for ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Hebrews 13:20-21

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in