OREMUS: 20 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Apr 19 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [John 10:31-42]:

The Jews took up stones again to stone him. Jesus
replied, 'I have shown you many good works from the
Father. For which of these are you going to stone me?'
The Jews answered, 'It is not for a good work that we are
going to stone you, but for blasphemy, because you,
though only a human being, are making yourself God.'
Jesus answered, 'Is it not written in your law, "I said,
you are gods"? If those to whom the word of God came were
called "gods" and the scripture cannot be annulled  can
you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and
sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, "I am
God's Son"? If I am not doing the works of my Father,
then do not believe me. But if I do them, even though you
do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may
know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in
the Father.' Then they tried to arrest him again, but he
escaped from their hands.
He went away again across the Jordan to the place where
John had been baptizing earlier, and he remained there.
Many came to him, and they were saying, 'John performed
no sign, but everything that John said about this man was
true.' And many believed in him there.

For another Biblical reading,
Wisdom 16:15-17:1

HYMN
Words: Latin, eighteenth century; trans. Edward Caswall, 1849
Tune: St. Bernard
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a191.html

All ye who seek for sure relief
in trouble and distress,
whatever sorrow vex the mind,
or guilt the soul oppress.

Jesus, who gave himself for you
upon the Cross to die,
opens to you his sacred heart;
O to that heart draw nigh.

Ye hear how kindly he invites;
ye hear his words so blessed;
"All ye that labor come to me,
and I will give you rest."

O Jesus, joy of saints on high,
thou hope of sinners here,
attracted by those loving words
to thee we lift our prayer.

Wash thou our wounds in that dear blood
which from thy heart doth flow;
a new and contrite heart on all
who cry to thee bestow.

To Christ, the Lamb who was slain,
and who now lives in the glory of the Father,
let us raise the voice of praise, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you are the Amen, the faithful witness,
the first of God's creation:
Lord, have mercy

You are Alpha and Omega,
the one who is, and was, and who is to come:
Lord, have mercy

You search into the thoughts and affections
of all people:
Lord, have mercy

You reprove and chasten
those whom you love:
Lord, have mercy

You open the eyes of the blind
and set the prisoners free:
Lord, have mercy

In your paschal victory,
you have proclaimed the coming of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
 Mytikyina - (Myanmar) The Rt Revd David Than Lwin, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy

Lord,
who created and fashioned us,
who knows us and searches us out,
who abides with us through light and dark:
help us to know your presence in this life
and, in the life to come, still to be with you;
where you are alive and reign,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.

The psalms, intercession, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are
from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Hebrews 13:20-21

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in