OREMUS: 19 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Apr 18 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Alphege, Archbishop of Canterbury, Martyr, 1012

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

READING [John 10:22-30]:

At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in
Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the
temple, in the portico of Solomon. So the Jews gathered
around him and said to him, 'How long will you keep us in
suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.' Jesus
answered, 'I have told you, and you do not believe. The
works that I do in my Father's name testify to me; but
you do not believe, because you do not belong to my
sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they
follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never
perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my
Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one
can snatch it out of the Father's hand. The Father and I
are one.'

For another Biblical reading,
Wisdom 13:1-9

HYMN
Words: Thomas Benson Pollock (1836-1896), 1868
Tune: Pastor pastorum
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f011.html

Faithful Shepherd, feed me
in the pastures green;
Faithful Shepherd, lead me
where thy steps are seen.

Hold me fast, and guide me
in the narrow way;
so, with thee beside me,
I shall never stray.

Daily bring me nearer
to the heavenly shore;
may thy love grow dearer,
may I love thee more.

Hallow every pleasure,
sanctify my pain;
be thyself my treasure,
though none else I gain.

Give me joy or sadness,
this be all my care,
that eternal gladness
I with thee may share.

Day by day prepare me
as thou seest best,
then let angels bear me
to thy promised rest.

On this day that the Lord has made, let us give God the glory
and pray for the people he has redeemed.

That we may live as those who believe
in the triumph of the cross:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

For your Church, we pray, O Lord, especially
the Diocese of Mundri, Sudan, The Rt Revd Eluzai Gima Munda, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Yirol, Sudan, The Rt Revd Benjamin Mangar Mamur, Bishop.
That all people may receive the good news of his victory:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those born to new life in the waters of baptism
may know the power of his resurrection:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those who suffer pain and anguish may find healing and peace
in the wounds of Christ:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That in the undying love of Christ,
we may have union with all who have died:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

Let us join our voices with the saints in proclaiming
that Christ has given us the victory:

Creator God,
whose life-giving Spirit
wells up with streams of living water,
sustain those whose spirits are heavy
and whose wells have run dry,
through Jesus Christ,
the rock of our salvation. Amen.

O loving God,
your martyr Alphege of Canterbury suffered violent death
when he refused to permit a ransom to be extorted from his people:
Grant that all pastors of your flock
may pattern themselves on the Good Shepherd,
who laid down his life for the sheep;
and who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God, giver of every good gift:
Look graciously on your Church,
and so guide the minds of those
who shall choose the next Pope,
that the Church may receive a faithful pastor,
who will care for your people and equip us for our ministries;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.

The psalms, intercession and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The canticle and the first collect are from _Common Worship: Daily
Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Hebrews 13:20-21

The third  collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to
the Use of The Episcopal Church_ (adapted).

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in