OREMUS: 18 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 17 17:25:33 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, April 18, 2005

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

Sing with joy to God our strength*
 and raise a loud shout to the God of Jacob.
Raise a song and sound the timbrel,*
 the merry harp and the lyre.
Blow the ram's-horn at the new moon,*
 and at the full moon, the day of our feast.
For this is a statute for Israel,*
 a law of the God of Jacob.
He laid it as a solemn charge upon Joseph,*
 when he came out of the land of Egypt.
I heard an unfamiliar voice saying,*
 'I eased his shoulder from the burden;
   his hands were set free from bearing the load.'
You called on me in trouble and I saved you;*
 I answered you from the secret place of thunder
   and tested you at the waters of Meribah.
Hear, O my people, and I will admonish you:*
 O Israel, if you would but listen to me!
There shall be no strange god among you;*
 you shall not worship a foreign god.
I am the Lord your God,
   who brought you out of the land of Egypt and said,*
 'Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.'
And yet my people did not hear my voice,*
 and Israel would not obey me.
So I gave them over to the stubbornness
   of their hearts,*
 to follow their own devices.
O that my people would listen to me!*
 that Israel would walk in my ways!
I should soon subdue their enemies*
 and turn my hand against their foes.
Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him,*
 and their punishment would last for ever.
But Israel would I feed with the finest wheat*
 and satisfy him with honey from the rock.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [John 10:11-21]:

Jesus said, 'I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd
lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is
not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the
wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away and the
wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs
away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I
am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me,
just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I
lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that
do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and
they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock,
one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me,
because I lay down my life in order to take it up again.
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own
accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to
take it up again. I have received this command from my
Father.'
Again the Jews were divided because of these words. Many
of them were saying, 'He has a demon and is out of his
mind. Why listen to him?' Others were saying, 'These are
not the words of one who has a demon. Can a demon open
the eyes of the blind?'

For another Biblical reading,
Wisdom 10:1-21

HYMN
Words: Jane E. Leeson, 1842
Tune: Buckland, Gentle Jesus
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l546.html

Loving Shepherd of thy sheep,
keep us all, in safety keep;
nothing can thy power withstand,
none can pluck us from thy hand.

Loving Savior, thou didst give
thine own life that we might live,
bought with blood and bought for thee,
thine, and only thine, we'd be.

We would praise thee every day,
gladly all thy will obey,
like thy blessŠd ones above
happy in thy precious love.

Loving Shepherd, ever near,
teach us all thy voice to hear,
suffer not our steps to stray
from the straight and narrow way.

Where thou leadest we would go,
walking in thy steps below,
till before our Father's throne
we shall know as we are known.

O Sun of righteousness,
you came forth from the dark night of death.
May you rise also in our hearts,
and enable us to contemplate the glories
of this sacred mystery,
that we may praise and glorify you for ever.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Prince of Life,
you take away the old leaven of malice and evil
that we may always walk with you and serve you:
Abide continually with us,
that in everything we do we may not forget the joy of your resurrection.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Paschal Lamb, offered for all,
you have taken away the sin of the world
and by rising again you have restored to us everlasting life.
Send laborers into the harvest
to proclaim the life you offer to those who believe.
We pray especially for
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Conqueror of death and captain of our salvation,
you overcame the darkness of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven for all believers.
We thank you for those saints whom you have already led
through death to life in the glory of heaven.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church throughout the world, especially
the Diocese of Mumbai, India, The Rt Revd Baiju F Gavit, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Mumias, Kenya, The Rt Revd Beneas Salalah Okumu, Bishop.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

Father of mercy,
keep us joyful in your salvation
and faithful to your covenant;
and, as we journey to your kingdom,
ever feed us with the bread of life,
your Son, our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.

The psalms, the collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Hebrews 13:20-21

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in