OREMUS: 17 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Apr 16 17:20:38 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, April 17, 2005
The Fourth Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

Psalm 99

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Revelation 7:9-17]:

After this I looked, and there was a great multitude that
no one could count, from every nation, from all tribes
and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and
before the Lamb, robed in white, with palm branches in
their hands. They cried out in a loud voice, saying,
'Salvation belongs to our God who is seated on the
throne, and to the Lamb!'
And all the angels stood around the throne and around the
elders and the four living creatures, and they fell on
their faces before the throne and worshipped God,
singing,
'Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom
and thanksgiving and honour
and power and might
be to our God for ever and ever! Amen.'

Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, 'Who are
these, robed in white, and where have they come from?' I
said to him, 'Sir, you are the one that knows.' Then he
said to me, 'These are they who have come out of the
great ordeal; they have washed their robes and made them
white in the blood of the Lamb.
For this reason they are before the throne of God,
   and worship him day and night within his temple,
   and the one who is seated on the throne will shelter
them.
They will hunger no more, and thirst no more;
   the sun will not strike them,
   nor any scorching heat;
for the Lamb at the centre of the throne will be their
shepherd,
and he will guide them to springs of the water of life,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.'

For another Biblical reading,
Jeremiah 23:1-8

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1863
Tune: St. Ethelreda
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s108.html

Shepherd Divine, our wants relieve
in this our evil day;
to all thy tempted followers give
the power to watch and pray.

Long as our fiery trials last,
long as the cross we bear,
O let our souls on thee be cast
in never-ceasing prayer.

The Spirit's interceding grace
give us in faith to claim;
to wrestle till we see thy face,
and know thy hidden Name.

Till thou thy perfect love impart,
till thou thyself bestow,
be this the cry of every heart,
"I will not let thee go."

I will not let thee go, unless
thou tell thy Name to me;
with all thy great salvation bless,
and make me all like thee.

Then let me on the mountain-top
behold thine open face;
where faith in sight is swallowed up,
and prayer in endless praise.

Gathered in the care of the good shepherd
who laid down his life for the sheep,
let us pray to God who knows our every need.

For the holy churches in every place, and for the unity of all.
Kyrie eleison!

For this holy assembly
and for all who gatherin the name of the risen Christ.
Kyrie eleison!

For all illumined by the light of Christ.
Kyrie eleison!

For our bishops and the presbyters,
the deacons and all who minister in Christ,
and for all the holy people of God.
Kyrie eleison!

For the world and its leaders, our nation and its people.
Kyrie eleison!

For all those in danger and need,
the sick and the suffering,
the strayed and the lost.
Kyrie eleison!

For those who walk in death's dark valley.
Kyrie eleison!

For ourselves, our families, and those we love.
Kyrie eleison!

Remembering the blessed Virgin Mary and all the saints,
let us offer ourselves and one another to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

Blessed are you, O Lord our God,
who soothes our head with oil
and fills our cup with wine.
Hear the prayers we offer for every need,
and revive us with your Holy Spirit.
Glory to you for ever and ever. Amen.

O God,
whose Son Jesus is the good shepherd of your people;
Grant that when we hear his voice
we may know him who calls us each by name,
and follow where he leads;
who, with you and the Holy Spirit, lives and reigns,
one God, for ever and ever.  Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Hebrews 13:20-21

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater.

of The Episcopal Church_

The closing sentence is from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects in