OREMUS: 16 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Apr 15 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, April 16, 2005

Blessed are you, God of life,
in your risen Son
you reveal your abiding presence among us
and call us in our baptism to lives of worship and service,
that we may be his witnesses
to the farthest reaches of the earth.

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Ezra 3:1-13]:

When the seventh month came, and the Israelites were in
the towns, the people gathered together in Jerusalem.
Then Jeshua son of Jozadak, with his fellow priests, and
Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel with his kin set out to build
the altar of the God of Israel, to offer burnt-offerings
on it, as prescribed in the law of Moses the man of God.
They set up the altar on its foundation, because they
were in dread of the neighbouring peoples, and they
offered burnt-offerings upon it to the LORD, morning and
evening. And they kept the festival of booths, as
prescribed, and offered the daily burnt-offerings by
number according to the ordinance, as required for each
day, and after that the regular burnt-offerings, the
offerings at the new moon and at all the sacred festivals
of the LORD, and the offerings of everyone who made a
freewill-offering to the LORD. From the first day of the
seventh month they began to offer burnt-offerings to the
LORD. But the foundation of the temple of the LORD was
not yet laid. So they gave money to the masons and the
carpenters, and food, drink, and oil to the Sidonians and
the Tyrians to bring cedar trees from Lebanon to the sea,
to Joppa, according to the grant that they had from King
Cyrus of Persia.
In the second year after their arrival at the house of
God at Jerusalem, in the second month, Zerubbabel son of
Shealtiel and Jeshua son of Jozadak made a beginning,
together with the rest of their people, the priests and
the Levites and all who had come to Jerusalem from the
captivity. They appointed the Levites, from twenty years
old and upwards, to have the oversight of the work on the
house of the LORD. And Jeshua with his sons and his kin,
and Kadmiel and his sons, Binnui and Hodaviah along with
the sons of Henadad, the Levites, their sons and kin,
together took charge of the workers in the house of
God.
When the builders laid the foundation of the temple of
the LORD, the priests in their vestments were stationed
to praise the LORD with trumpets, and the Levites, the
sons of Asaph, with cymbals, according to the directions
of King David of Israel; and they sang responsively,
praising and giving thanks to the LORD,
'For he is good,
for his steadfast love endures for ever towards
Israel.'
And all the people responded with a great shout when they
praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of
the LORD was laid. But many of the priests and Levites
and heads of families, old people who had seen the first
house on its foundations, wept with a loud voice when
they saw this house, though many shouted aloud for joy,
so that the people could not distinguish the sound of the
joyful shout from the sound of the people's weeping, for
the people shouted so loudly that the sound was heard far
away.

For another Biblical reading,
Ephesians 2:11-22

HYMN
Words: Thomas Kelly (1769-1855)
Tune: Sarum New
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b079.html

Behold the temple of the Lord!
the work of God, by man abhorred,
appearing fair and splendid;
its walls are built in spite of foes,
and though a hostile world oppose,
the work will yet be ended.

A building this, not made with hands;
on firm foundations, lo, it stands,
for God himself has laid them;
the workmanship of God alone,
the rich materials all his own:
'twas he himself that made them.

He builds it for his glory's sake,
its solid frame no force can shake,
although the world despise it;
and time, that other work destroys,
'gainst this in vain its power employs;
the work of God defies it.

>From age to age his work goes on,
the stones collected one by one;
ere long it will be finished:
and when he works his grand design,
the temple will for ever shine
with luster undiminished.

Jesus, Light of the world,
bring the light and peace of your Gospel
to the nations.
We pray for the Diocese of Multan, Pakistan,
The Rt Revd John Victor Mall, Bishop.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Bread of life,
give food to the hungry
and nourish us all with your Word.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, our Way, our Truth, our Life,
be with us and all who follow in the way.
Deepen our appreciation of your truth
and fill us with your life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Good Shepherd,
who gave your life for the sheep,
recover the straggler,
bind up the injured,
strengthen the sick
and lead the healthy and strong to new pastures.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life,
we give you thanks for all who have lived and believed in you.
Raise us with them to eternal life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

God of mystery and power,
open our eyes to the flame of your love,
and open our ears to the thunder of your justice,
that we may receive your gifts of blessing and peace,
to the glory of your Name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Stir up our faith, O God of life,
that our hearts may burn within us
at the sound of Jesus' word,
and our eyes be opened to recognize him
in the breaking of the bread. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence use sentences
from three prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com