OREMUS: 14 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 13 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, April 14, 2005

Blessed are you, God of life,
in your risen Son
you reveal your abiding presence among us
and call us in our baptism to lives of worship and service,
that we may be his witnesses
to the farthest reaches of the earth.

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Colossians 2:6-14]:

As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord,
continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up
in him and established in the faith, just as you were
taught, abounding in thanksgiving.
See to it that no one takes you captive through
philosophy and empty deceit, according to human
tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the
universe, and not according to Christ. For in him the
whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have come
to fullness in him, who is the head of every ruler and
authority. In him also you were circumcised with a
spiritual circumcision, by putting off the body of the
flesh in the circumcision of Christ; when you were buried
with him in baptism, you were also raised with him
through faith in the power of God, who raised him from
the dead. And when you were dead in trespasses and the
uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive together
with him, when he forgave us all our trespasses, erasing
the record that stood against us with its legal demands.
He set this aside, nailing it to the cross.

For another Biblical reading,
Wisdom 4:16 5:8

HYMN
Words: Katherine Hankey, 1866
Tune: Evangel
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t032.html

Tell me the old, old story
of unseen things above,
of Jesus and his glory,
of Jesus and his love.
Tell me the story simply,
as to a little child,
for I am weak and weary,
and helpless and defiled.
Refrain:
Tell me the old, old story, tell me the old, old story,
tell me the old, old story, of Jesus and his love.

Tell me the story slowly,
that I may take it in,
that wonderful redemption,
God's remedy for sin.
tell me the story often,
for I forget so soon;
the early dew of morning
has passed away at noon. Refrain

Tell me the story softly,
with earnest tones and grave;
remember I'm the sinner
whom Jesus came to save.
Tell me the story always,
if you would really be,
in any time of trouble,
a comforter to me. Refrain

Tell me the same old story
when you have cause to fear
that this world's empty glory
is costing me too dear.
Yes, and when that world's glory
is dawning on my soul,
tell me the old, old story:
"Christ Jesus makes thee whole." Refrain

O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

By your resurrection you give new life to your people, the Church.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Muhabura, Uganda,
The Rt Revd Ernest M Shalita, Bishop.
Send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

When you came among us in majesty, O God,
you took the form of a servant.
May we whom you call to your priestly service
work to establish justice on earth,
that we may inherit your kingdom in heaven;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Stir up our faith, O God of life,
that our hearts may burn within us
at the sound of Jesus' word,
and our eyes be opened to recognize him
in the breaking of the bread. Amen.

The canticle and the collect from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence use sentences
from three prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.