OREMUS: 13 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Apr 12 20:40:25 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Blessed are you, God of life,
in your risen Son
you reveal your abiding presence among us
and call us in our baptism to lives of worship and service,
that we may be his witnesses
to the farthest reaches of the earth.

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Colossians 1:15-23]:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of
all creation; for in him all things in heaven and on
earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether
thrones or dominions or rulers or powers all things have
been created through him and for him. He himself is
before all things, and in him all things hold together.
He is the head of the body, the church; he is the
beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might
come to have first place in everything. For in him all
the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him
God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things,
whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through
the blood of his cross.
And you who were once estranged and hostile in mind,
doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in his fleshly
body through death, so as to present you holy and
blameless and irreproachable before him  provided that
you continue securely established and steadfast in the
faith, without shifting from the hope promised by the
gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed to every
creature under heaven. I, Paul, became a servant of this
gospel.

For another Biblical reading,
Wisdom 3:1-9

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1745
Tune: Eatington
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t092.html

The Church triumphant in thy love,
their might joys we know;
they sing the Lamb in hymns above,
and we in hymns below.

Thee in thy glorious realm they praise,
and bow before thy throne;
we in the kingdom of thy grace:
the kingdoms are but one.

The holy to the holiest leads,
from hence our spirits rise,
and he that in thy statutes treads
shall meet thee in the skies.

To Christ, the Lamb who was slain,
and who now lives in the glory of the Father,
let us raise the voice of praise, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you are the Amen, the faithful witness,
the first of God's creation:
Lord, have mercy

You are Alpha and Omega,
the one who is, and was, and who is to come:
Lord, have mercy

You search into the thoughts and affections
of all people:
Lord, have mercy

You reprove and chasten
those whom you love:
Lord, have mercy

You open the eyes of the blind
and set the prisoners free:
Lord, have mercy

In your paschal victory,
you have proclaimed the coming of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
 Mpwapwa, Tanzania, The Rt Revd Simon E Chiwanga, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy

God of power and might,
you bring your people out of darkness and slavery
into light and freedom through the waters of salvation.
Receive our sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving,
and keep us always in your steadfast love;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Stir up our faith, O God of life,
that our hearts may burn within us
at the sound of Jesus' word,
and our eyes be opened to recognize him
in the breaking of the bread. Amen.

The psalms, the intercession and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence use sentences
from three prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com