OREMUS: 12 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Apr 11 17:03:45 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Blessed are you, God of life,
in your risen Son
you reveal your abiding presence among us
and call us in our baptism to lives of worship and service,
that we may be his witnesses
to the farthest reaches of the earth.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

READING [Colossians 1:9-14]:

For this reason, since the day we heard it, we have not
ceased praying for you and asking that you may be filled
with the knowledge of God's will in all spiritual wisdom
and understanding, so that you may lead lives worthy of
the Lord, fully pleasing to him, as you bear fruit in
every good work and as you grow in the knowledge of God.
May you be made strong with all the strength that comes
from his glorious power, and may you be prepared to
endure everything with patience, while joyfully giving
thanks to the Father, who has enabled you to share in the
inheritance of the saints in the light. He has rescued us
from the power of darkness and transferred us into the
kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of sins.

For another Biblical reading,

Wisdom 1:16-2:11,21-24

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1759
Tune: Dundee
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l064.html

Let saints on earth in concert sing
with those who work is done;
for all the servants of our King
in heaven and earth are one.

One family, we dwell in him,
one Church, above, beneath,
though now divided by the stream,
the narrow stream of death.

One army of the living God,
to his command we bow;
part of the host have crossed the flood,
and part are crossing now.

E'en now to their eternal home
there pass some spirits blest;
while others to the margin come,
waiting their call to rest..

Jesus, be thou our constant Guide;
then, when the word is given,
bid Jordan's narrow stream divide,
and bring us safe to heaven.

On this day that the Lord has made, let us give God the glory
and pray for the people he has redeemed.

That we may live as those who believe
in the triumph of the cross:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

For your Church, we pray, O Lord, especially
the Diocese of Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania,
The Rt Revd Simon Elilekia Makundi, Bishop.

That all people may receive the good news of his victory:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those born to new life in the waters of baptism
may know the power of his resurrection:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those who suffer pain and anguish may find healing and peace
in the wounds of Christ:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That in the undying love of Christ,
we may have union with all who have died:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

Let us join our voices with the saints in proclaiming
that Christ has given us the victory:

Living Lord,
you have made this day your own
and called us out of darkness into your marvellous light;
open the gates of righteousness
that your pilgrim people may enter
and be built into a living temple
on the cornerstone of our salvation,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Stir up our faith, O God of life,
that our hearts may burn within us
at the sound of Jesus' word,
and our eyes be opened to recognize him
in the breaking of the bread. Amen.

The psalms, the intercession and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence use sentences
from three prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_.