OREMUS: 10 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Apr 9 17:20:14 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, April 10, 2005
The Third Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, God of life,
in your risen Son
you reveal your abiding presence among us
and call us in our baptism to lives of worship and service,
that we may be his witnesses
to the farthest reaches of the earth.

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
   you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

Psalm 116

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Revelation 5]:

Then I saw in the right hand of the one seated on the
throne a scroll written on the inside and on the back,
sealed with seven seals; and I saw a mighty angel
proclaiming with a loud voice, 'Who is worthy to open the
scroll and break its seals?' And no one in heaven or on
earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or
to look into it. And I began to weep bitterly because no
one was found worthy to open the scroll or to look into
it. Then one of the elders said to me, 'Do not weep. See,
the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has
conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven
seals.'

Then I saw between the throne and the four living
creatures and among the elders a Lamb standing as if it
had been slaughtered, having seven horns and seven eyes,
which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the
earth. He went and took the scroll from the right hand of
the one who was seated on the throne. When he had taken
the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four
elders fell before the Lamb, each holding a harp and
golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of
the saints. They sing a new song:
'You are worthy to take the scroll
   and to open its seals,
for you were slaughtered and by your blood you ransomed
for God
   saints from every tribe and language and people and
nation;
you have made them to be a kingdom and priests serving
our God,
   and they will reign on earth.'

Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels
surrounding the throne and the living creatures and the
elders; they numbered myriads of myriads and thousands of
thousands, singing with full voice,
'Worthy is the Lamb that was slaughtered
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might
and honour and glory and blessing!'
Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and
under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them,
singing,
'To the one seated on the throne and to the Lamb
be blessing and honour and glory and might
for ever and ever!'
And the four living creatures said, 'Amen!' And the
elders fell down and worshipped.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 42:6-16

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Iste Confessor
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s320.html

Splendor and honor, majesty and power,
are yours, O Lord God, fount of every blessing,
for by your bidding was the whole creation
called into being.

Praised be the true Lamb, slain for our redemption,
by whose self-offering we are made God's people:
a priestly kingdom, from all tongues and nations,
called to God's service.

To the Almighty, throned in heavenly splendor,
and to the Savior, Christ our Lamb and Shepherd,
be adoration, praise, and glory given,
now and for ever.

Jesus, bread from heaven,
you satisfy the hungry with good things:
Grant us a share with all the faithful departed,
in the banquet of your kingdom.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, the light of the world,
you gave the man born blind the gift of sight:
Open the eye of faith
and bring us from darkness
to your eternal light and glory.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, Son of the living God,
you summoned your friend Lazarus from death to life:
Raise us at the last to full and eternal life with you.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, crucified Savior,
in your dying you entrusted
Mary your Mother and John your Beloved to each other:
Sustain and comfort all who mourn.
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

Jesus, our Way and Truth and Life,
you drew your disciple Thomas from doubt to faith:
Reveal the resurrection faith to the doubting and the lost:
Resurrection and Life,
hear us.

May God in his infinite mercy
bring the whole Church,
living and departed in the Lord Jesus,
to a joyful resurrection
and the fulfillment of his eternal kingdom. Amen.

Almighty Father,
who in your great mercy gladdened the disciples
   with the sight of the risen Lord:
give us such knowledge of his presence with us,
that we may be strengthened and sustained
   by his risen life
and serve you continually in righteousness and truth;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Stir up our faith, O God of life,
that our hearts may burn within us
at the sound of Jesus' word,
and our eyes be opened to recognize him
in the breaking of the bread. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence use sentences
from three prayers in _Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary
Language_.

Hymn (c) 1990 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _New Patterns for
Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is