OREMUS: 8 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 7 17:00:09 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, April 8, 2005
 William Augustus Muhlenberg, Priest, 1877

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

READING [Daniel 6:19-30]:

Then, at break of day, the king got up and hurried to the
den of lions. When he came near the den where Daniel was,
he cried out anxiously to Daniel, 'O Daniel, servant of
the living God, has your God whom you faithfully serve
been able to deliver you from the lions?' Daniel then
said to the king, 'O king, live for ever! My God sent his
angel and shut the lions' mouths so that they would not
hurt me, because I was found blameless before him; and
also before you, O king, I have done no wrong.' Then the
king was exceedingly glad and commanded that Daniel be
taken up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of
the den, and no kind of harm was found on him, because he
had trusted in his God. The king gave a command, and
those who had accused Daniel were brought and thrown into
the den of lions they, their children, and their wives.
Before they reached the bottom of the den the lions
overpowered them and broke all their bones in pieces.

Then King Darius wrote to all peoples and nations of
every language throughout the whole world: 'May you have
abundant prosperity! I make a decree, that in all my
royal dominion people should tremble and fear before the
God of Daniel:
For he is the living God,
   enduring for ever.
His kingdom shall never be destroyed,
   and his dominion has no end.
He delivers and rescues,
   he works signs and wonders in heaven and on earth;
for he has saved Daniel
   from the power of the lions.'
So this Daniel prospered during the reign of Darius and
the reign of Cyrus the Persian.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 8:26-40

HYMN
Words: Lionel B.C.L. Muirhead, 1899
Tune: Capel
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t090.html

The Church of God a kingdom is,
where Christ in power doth reign,
where spirits yearn till seen in bliss
their Lord shall come again.

Glad companies of saints possess
this Church below, above;
and God's perpetual calm doth bless
their paradise of love.

An altar stands within the shrine
whereon, once sacrificed,
is set, immaculate, divine,
the Lamb of God, the Christ.

There rich and poor, from countless lands,
praise Christ on mystic rood;
there nations reach forth holy hands
to take God's holy food.

There pure life-giving streams o'erflow
the sower's garden ground;
and faith and hope fair blossoms show,
and fruits of love abound.

O King, O Christ, this endless grace
to us and all men bring,
to see the vision of thy face
in joy, O Christ, our King.

In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Church in the Diocese of
Morogoro, Tanzania, The Rt Revd Dudley Mageni, Bishop.
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God's power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lord God, whom we worship in the beauty of holiness,
receive our prayer;
as we tell out your salvation
and declare your glory to all nations,
that all the earth may see your righteous deeds
and glorify your holy name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of merciful compassion,
your Son came to heal those
who were broken in body or spirit,
and to turn their sorrow into joy:
grant that your Church may possess
the vision and compassion
of your servant William Augustus Muhlenberg
that we will not close our eyes
to the plight of the poor and neglected,
the homeless and destitute, the old and the sick,
the lonely and those who have none to care for them;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Contemporary Language_.

The second collect is by Stephen Benner and is based on a collect  from
_The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and Fasts_, 3rd edition, (c)
1980 The Church Pension Fund.