OREMUS: 7 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 6 23:20:13 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, April 7, 2005

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

Psalm 47

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Daniel 6:10-18]:

Although Daniel knew that the document had been signed,
he continued to go to his house, which had windows in its
upper room open towards Jerusalem, and to get down on his
knees three times a day to pray to his God and praise
him, just as he had done previously. The conspirators
came and found Daniel praying and seeking mercy before
his God. Then they approached the king and said
concerning the interdict, 'O king! Did you not sign an
interdict, that anyone who prays to anyone, divine or
human, within thirty days except to you, O king, shall be
thrown into a den of lions?' The king answered, 'The
thing stands fast, according to the law of the Medes and
Persians, which cannot be revoked.' Then they responded
to the king, 'Daniel, one of the exiles from Judah, pays
no attention to you, O king, or to the interdict you have
signed, but he is saying his prayers three times a
day.'
When the king heard the charge, he was very much
distressed. He was determined to save Daniel, and until
the sun went down he made every effort to rescue him.
Then the conspirators came to the king and said to him,
'Know, O king, that it is a law of the Medes and Persians
that no interdict or ordinance that the king establishes
can be changed.'
Then the king gave the command, and Daniel was brought
and thrown into the den of lions. The king said to
Daniel, 'May your God, whom you faithfully serve, deliver
you!' A stone was brought and laid on the mouth of the
den, and the king sealed it with his own signet and with
the signet of his lords, so that nothing might be changed
concerning Daniel. Then the king went to his palace and
spent the night fasting; no food was brought to him, and
sleep fled from him.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 6:1-7

HYMN
Words: Edmond Budry (1854-1932), 1884;
trans. Richard Hoyle (1875-1939), 1923
Tune: Maccabeus
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t514.html

Thine be the glory, risen, conquering Son;
endless is the victory, thou o'er death hast won;
angels in bright raiment rolled the stone away,
kept the folded grave clothes where thy body lay.
Refrain:
Thine be the glory, risen conquering Son,
Endless is the vict'ry, thou o'er death hast won.

Lo! Jesus meets us, risen from the tomb;
Lovingly he greets us, scatters fear and gloom;
let the Church with gladness, hymns of triumph sing;
for her Lord now liveth, death hath lost its sting. Refrain

No more we doubt thee, glorious Prince of life;
life is naught without thee; aid us in our strife;
make us more than conquerors, through thy deathless love:
bring us safe through Jordan to thy home above. Refrain

O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

By your resurrection you give new life to your people, the Church.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Moray, Ross & Caithness, Scotland,
The Rt Revd John Michael Crook, Bishop.
Send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

As Christ was raised by your glory, O Father,
so may we walk in newness of life
and rejoice to be called the children of God;
now and for ever.  Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

The psalms, the collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Contemporary Language_.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.