OREMUS: 5 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Apr 4 19:07:30 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, April 5, 2005

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

READING [Daniel 5:13-23,30]:

Then Daniel was brought in before the king. The king said
to Daniel, 'So you are Daniel, one of the exiles of
Judah, whom my father the king brought from Judah? I have
heard of you that a spirit of the gods is in you, and
that enlightenment, understanding, and excellent wisdom
are found in you. Now the wise men, the enchanters, have
been brought in before me to read this writing and tell
me its interpretation, but they were not able to give the
interpretation of the matter. But I have heard that you
can give interpretations and solve problems. Now if you
are able to read the writing and tell me its
interpretation, you shall be clothed in purple, have a
chain of gold around your neck, and rank third in the
kingdom.'
Then Daniel answered in the presence of the king, 'Let
your gifts be for yourself, or give your rewards to
someone else! Nevertheless,I will read the writing to the
king and let him know the interpretation. O king, the
Most High God gave your father Nebuchadnezzar kingship,
greatness, glory, and majesty. And because of the
greatness that he gave him, all peoples, nations, and
languages trembled and feared before him. He killed those
he wanted to kill, kept alive those he wanted to keep
alive, honoured those he wanted to honour, and degraded
those he wanted to degrade. But when his heart was lifted
up and his spirit was hardened so that he acted proudly,
he was deposed from his kingly throne, and his glory was
stripped from him. He was driven from human society, and
his mind was made like that of an animal. His dwelling
was with the wild asses, he was fed grass like oxen, and
his body was bathed with the dew of heaven, until he
learned that the Most High God has sovereignty over the
kingdom of mortals, and sets over it whomsoever he will.
And you, Belshazzar his son, have not humbled your heart,
even though you knew all this! You have exalted yourself
against the Lord of heaven! The vessels of his temple
have been brought in before you, and you and your lords,
your wives and your concubines have been drinking wine
from them. You have praised the gods of silver and gold,
of bronze, iron, wood, and stone, which do not see or
hear or know; but the God in whose power is your very
breath, and to whom belong all your ways, you have not
honoured.
That very night Belshazzar, the Chaldean king, was
killed.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 5:1-11

HYMN
Words: Symphonia Sirenum Selectarum, 1695;
trans. Francis Pott (1832-1909)
Tune: Victory
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t368.html

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
The strife is o'er, the battle done,
the victory of life is won;
the song of triumph has begun.
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
The powers of death have done their worst,
but Christ their legions hath dispersed:
let shout of holy joy outburst.
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
The three sad days are quickly sped,
he rises glorious from the dead:
all glory to our risen Head!
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
He closed the yawning gates of hell,
the bars from heaven's high portals fell;
let hymns of praise his triumphs tell!
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
Lord! by the stripes which wounded thee,
from death's dread sting thy servants free,
that we may live and sing to thee.

On this day that the Lord has made, let us give God the glory
and pray for the people he has redeemed.

That we may live as those who believe
in the triumph of the cross:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

For your Church, we pray, O Lord, especially
the Diocese of Montana, USA, The Rt Revd Charles Franklin Brookhart, Bishop,
and the Diocese of Montreal, Canada, The Rt Revd Barry B Clarke, Bishop.
That all people may receive the good news of his victory:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those born to new life in the waters of baptism
may know the power of his resurrection:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those who suffer pain and anguish may find healing and peace
in the wounds of Christ:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That in the undying love of Christ,
we may have union with all who have died:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

Let us join our voices with the saints in proclaiming
that Christ has given us the victory:

Heavenly Father,
you have delivered us from the power of sin
and brought us into the kingdom of your Son:
Grant that he whose death has recalled us to life
may by his presence among us raise us to eternal joys;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

The psalms, the intercession and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Contemporary Language_.

The collect is from _An Anglican Prayer Book_, (c) Church of
the Province of Southern Africa, 1989.